TROUBLE IN PARADISE

Start from the beginning

" Now that is a killer app." Mom quips, in a joking way. Chuckling to herself about her pun. I had to agree her response, to witnessing a guy having spontaneous combustion, is morbidly hilarious.

" Okay. You wanna keep playing the Hollywood squares version of I'll blow your freaking head off. Are you next?" Adrienne came to where I stood, mouth continuing at gaping, eyes wide staring toward slipknot.

" Have to say. It's surprising that you are shocked at his death. There was bound to be a casualty soon or later on." She whispers, I noticed how she had her eyes trailing on El Diablo. Her face blushing a light dust of pink, as he said a phrase of Spanish regarding what Rick said. 'I see she has a crush. Awe'

" You next, deadshot?" Rick says, wanting to invoke his reaction, agonisingly. Floyd gets in his face, not appreciating the tactic of intimidation, and does a once over. " You threatening me? You are lucky that lil girl, I care about, is close enough to save you from me raining down bullets like the Holy Ghost on your patriotic ass, right here right now. Yeah I see how you look at her, captain righteous. Don't be threatening me again." I furrow my brows at Floyd's words. A subtle hiss in how he's anointing and changing his tone, So it wasn't louder than a murmur as he continues talking.

He loudens his voice with 'Don't be threatening me' pointing an accusing finger.

Rick backs off, his mind pre-occupied by having to use the gadget early then he wanted to, taking a hold of my hand before mumbling " Let's move." I leaned my head to the side, resting my ear on his shoulder.

" Must have been hard for ya to do that, Ricky. He was a good climber, I have to give him credit for that." I could never take anything serious. There is nothing fun in having commodities such as responsibilities and adulting. Live in the moment, present, don't think too much about the tragedies of life.

" You can't take anything seriously. Can't you, Quinn." If there is something to be gained out of this 'mission' was to enjoy my 'freedom'. Well— it is controlled but you cannot be picky. " What happened here? And the actual hell is that?" I mumble in disgust, seeing a strange, black gooey crystalline substance had gone through a van. As though it was a meteorite.

" C Two, what is the operational load of the PLS. Over." I overhear on a channel through the walkie talkies. 'There is something that doesn't feel good. Right now.' I see an old, rusted police car with all its windows blown out. I begin trailing rick from behind. He has his gun at eye level, staring down the telescopic reticle to improve his accuracy. Direct and not wanting to miss his target. I hear Adrienne, harshly, whisper shouting wondering what I was doing putting myself in danger. But I choose to let it go in one ear out the other. " Amanda, we have hostiles up ahead." Miss waller? Oh how could I not have figured this out straight away. Of course. We are saving her.

" Tell Miss waller I say hi, Ricky. Hi misses waller." I made a face hiding my enjoyment of being close to Rick, abruptly giggling at his reactive jump of surprise. I hear what sounds as though there is distorted chittering. Several feet in front are grotesque creatures, created out of the exact same substance I had seen that imitated a rock that plummeted out of nowhere. 'They are freakish looking. Not even human. Why do they look like that.'

Rick leans down, in ear range, to my height. His close proximity makes it difficult for me to focus. I am experiencing the exact literal feeling of my heart beating out of rhythm like mom said she felt, herself, falling in with daddy. ' But I couldn't have those emotions. It's ridiculous. Right?' I shift my body to adjacent directly in his.

" You don't say anything of what you heard. Are we clear?" It's obvious Ricky doesn't want the others to realise who we're saving. Ms waller is not very popular.