TROUBLE IN PARADISE

Mid way city is in ruins. Never before have I seen the place so deserted, it's honestly eerie. Nothing ever seems to unnerve me but casing my eyes over destroyed cars, engulfed in flames, definitely made a shiver creep down my spine. Rick is leading the contingent of soldiers, Adrienne never strayed far enough and away from the squad. She had her own gun readied to be unloaded if there is to be unexpected enemies. 'Evacuation in effect' was broadcasting on electronic boards. 'They are like oversized tvs.'

I stop, lifting both of my eyes staring towards a high rise building. Flames reach for the floor above wanting to consume, create more inflicting damage. " Suga' you okay? What's the matter?" Mom came over, resting her pale hand on my jacket. " It's.. I've never seen a city abandoned before. Not like to this extent. Mom do you think dad will come get us? I miss home. And I mean our home."

She tightens her hold, tussling inside of her red and blue linen rib-coat pocket revealing a purple phone. 'Be ready. I'm on my way.' It's dad's number. 'He's coming to get us. That means we can go home.' I think. I should be happy but something is tugging at my heart strings.

" Your daddy is comin for us, sweetie pie'. We'll be back as a family again. But shh. Don't alert no one, okay." That is the quietest I have heard my mom speak, as she cases out the solider's out of ear range. I slowly motion my head in a nod, understanding.

" I am gonna talk to Rickie. Mommy. Don't worry I won't say anything." I hear her light giggle, sensing her hand pat my bottom in a playful demeanour.

" My little girl is growing up." She pouts, before giving an over-elaborate grin. With a prance in my strides, mimicking a doe dancing around during the season of spring, my smile never fades going past Adrienne. Her eyes question what I am doing, my actions, but I ignore her. Rick grunts noticing me fall in step to his walking.

" So, Ricky. Do you want to tell what is happening on this mission. I mean really. I can keep a secret." Abandoned military vehicles are dispersed, in wrecks, hollowed out and left behind to be forgotten. Rick pulls his lips tight together. " That's classified. I'm sorry. I can't disclose information especially to a criminal." I fake hurt, making my lips appear to wobble. 'I was always the good actress.'

He notes my lip tremble. Tightening the grip on his rifle, Rick sighs. " my apologies, Frannie. It wasn't the intention to upset you. I just can.. you were kidding with me. Weren't you?" I convulse in a fit of soft laughter, mentally giving myself a gold star sticker for my performance. His face Morphs in an expression of amusement. Even a half-hearted smirk.

" You got me good, Quinn. I give you a round of applaud." I clung to him, cuddling his masculine arm i could feel through the rain-coat. " Frannie. Don't do this. There are certain boundaries and rules you can't break. Please." I don't think I was doing any thing at all wrong that I shouldn't be.

" Like what. Rick? I just want to hold ya. Is that a problem? No?" A compliance sigh left him, craning his body to stare around to the filed soldiers. All busy searching for enemies.

" Fine. But remain here.. WATCH OUT." Before I could question anything Boomer sucker punches an unsuspecting man behind him, triggering katana to dodge his oncoming weaponised boomerang he threw, flipping expertly in the air like a bad ass. My mouth hangs open at the commotion not expecting it. Slipknot activates the grapple gun device on his waist, managing to connect a rope to a run down building. I notice Rick tapping Slipknot's photo on his controller connected to this wrist.

A miniature explosive sound comes above and I look up in time seeing slipknot's head burst in pieces. I do a surprise yelp, covering my face. 'That was violent.' And I've seen violence happening every day.