chapter 3

after introducing nearly everyone to dakota, there was one more person, luke.

she looked around with semi-hopeful eyes, but mainly fear. she spotted a tall frame with moppy dirty blonde hair walking inside, and she'd gotten a sense of deja-vu. breaking her out of her thoughts, she was pulled into a conversation started by trevor, covering all bases, including her new album.

when trevor brought it up, a lot of the boys chimed in about having listened to a couple songs which made her smile. she felt embarrassed by the compliments but she still said her thank yous.

before she knew it, she was checking her phone surprised by the fact it was only 8. but truly, it wasn't that surprising as time-zone wise michigan was 5 hours behind, making it 1 for her.

dakota had begun to excuse himself, due to his tiredness and frankie took that as her chance to do so aswell. after many arguments from the boys, she had quieted them down and begun walking side by side with dakota inside.

"you seem like a different kind of happy here."
dakota piped up, confusion was clear on her features as she hummed which translated to a "what do you mean".

"i mean, back home, you seem happy - of course you do, but here it's like you really shine. i know there still something missing, and i know it's him. i saw him walking away, it was an asshole move."

she looked down as they had begun to make their way up the stairs. "i know what you mean. it does feel different. i wish he didn't have such a hold on me still. it's frustrating having to see how nothings really changed for him. but screw him! this summer isn't about him. we're gonna have fun. speaking of fun.." he knew that look.

"do you wanna watch tangled?" she smiled up at him with a tilt of her head, and it's not like he was gonna say no - but there was no way of getting out of this.

⭐️

an hour later, dakota was fully passed out, head on her shoulder, she begun to carefully lift his head, grabbing a pillow and maneuvering it under him. she softly shut her laptop as she walked across the hall back to her room, where she decided she'd do a short instagram live to talk about the album.

after grabbing her guitar she left here, getting comfortable on her bed, and propping up her phone she hit the "go live" button as she strummed a few chords.

she saw comments fly by saying hello, looking up at the viewer count.

"jesus there's like nearly 30 thousand of you here.." she softly laughed

"sorry if i'm a bit quiet, but it's almost 10 here and dakotas across the hall sleep. oh! i wanted to hop on here because i only really talked about the album myself when i posted the story which was hours ago." she mused as she began to read out comments.

"phenomenal album. i was wondering what the saddest song to write was?" she quietly said,

"thank you, thank you. truly means the world hearing all the positive feedback. the saddest song.. maybe stranger? most of them i wrote when i was sad so it's hard to say." she nimbly spoke.

"what's my writing process like.. it's difficult to say. it's kind of like grief - how it's never linear. like- the inspiration can be absent but then one day you'll get a reminder of something and it'll hit you with a force. so sometimes that inspiration will last an hour; sometimes days."