Days 91-122

THIS IS A ROUGH DRAFT.
THERE WILL BE GRAMMAR ISSUES, TYPOS, PLOT HOLES, AND YES, MANY THINGS WILL CHANGE DRASTICALLY.
I DO NOT RECOMMEND SHARING FIRST/ROUGH DRAFTS TO THE PUBLIC LIKE THIS. I DO THIS SOLELY FOR THE NOVEL OF FOLLOWERS PROJECT.

MY ANXIETY IS PEAKING BECAUSE OF IT SO ENJOY MUAHAHAHA.

"April," Gainsborough said softly. "Why don't you let her go with you? A velex was dropped in the saloon, you may need the help."

April sneered. "Fine, then."

"I'd like to come along." Gideon said.

"Why not. Everyone?

"I'd like to." Magnus said.

"That's it, cowboy." Diedre urged. "I like him, April. Spunky."

April glared

"Woah. You're pissed. And you still have some velex guts on you" Diedre peeled a giblet of velex from Aprils' shirt. The glare ripened.

"Uncle G, give me your pocket watch." April said. She pointed at Magnus and Gideon. "Newbies, don't talk to anyone. Don't look at anyone. Traveling through time ain't peaches n cream."

Magnus' eyes lit up. "We're going? Now? Where? When? What about paradoxes? Chaos Theory? Will the universe implode if I meet my future self?"

"Implode?" Gideon asked wonderingly. Kiora made a crushing gesture with her hands. His eyes widened. "We won't implode, right?"

"Explosions?" Diedre flashed a grin. Against her best effort, April's glare broke into a smile.

"Grab a last drink and whatever you need. We're leaving in five."

"Can I at least call my mom first?" Magnus asked.

"No!" April's frown returned. "You're in this 'cause you meddled. Now, if we don't mnemosyne you in the next few days, the council'll send hunters."

"Neh-moh-zeen?" Gideon sounded out the foreign word.

"Goddess of memories." Magnus said. "It's Greek. You're saying that my choices are either 'hunted by an all-powerful council of time travelers' or 'have my memory erased?'"

April nodded. "Yep."

Magnus stared blankly at her.

"Chin up," Diedre said. "Better to have lived and forgot than die horribly to the time hounds. That's a human saying, right?"

"You've got two options and no time to think about it." April said. "Die, or take your chances. What'll it be?"

"That makes my choice pretty clear."

"Good." April set the pocket watch on the bar counter. "Everybody, lean in."

"Hold on," Gideon ran to the front door. A moment later, he returned with a long pole in his hands. Adorned at one end of the pole, a sharpened hammer pointed steel teeth at those unfortunate to be swung at.

"Is that a lucerne?" Magnus asked.

"You really know your history" April said. "Now listen newbies. Forced traveling with a portable TDU like this pocket watch is different than what you're used to. Well, those of you that have traveled. You can keep your eyes open, but do not speak, unless you want your vocal cords shredded six ways to sunday. We'd have to travel ahead to get them fixed with Diedre's doc, and that's as bad as losing them in the first place. Kid cowboy, what's your name again?"

"I'm twenty two years old." Magnus said.

"And I can juggle kitchen knives but you don't see me going around bragging." April retorted. "Your name?"

"Magnus."

April hummed in thought. "That'll do I suppose. Generic. Latin. You'll stay Magnus."

"You would have us change our names?" Gideon asked.

"Just a pseudonym, beefcakes." Diedre spoke. Traveling is a dangerous business. No need to have a name that draws an eye."

"Especially where we travel." Kiora added.

April twisted a dial on the pocket watch and carefully pulled her hands from it. It began ticking mechanically, its gears tapping against each other in a slow rhythm. It grew in speed, ticking louder each passing moment.

"Where exactly are we going?" Magnus asked.

"Britain." April said. "Seventeen ninety nine. Shush up, now. It's time."

Magnus' eyes widened. His voice shook as he continued to speak. "What is it going to feel like? I don't know if I can do it, this is crazy. Y'all are crazy!"

A hand clapped over his mouth. Kiora eyed him cautiously. As though his body were taffy, Magnus felt himself stretch out.