Chapter Fifteen.

** Dark content warning. Depiction of death. Read at your own risk.**

Key:

Bold: Brian

Italic Underline: Jack

Italic: (Name)

Bold Underline: Toby

"Don't you dare die, Brian, don't you fucking dare,"

Tim's voice was hoarse, raspy at best; he was so used to giving orders that some of his authority carried over into his pleas.

Shirt so soaked in blood it was glistening, reflecting the light of the stars and blood pooling beneath Brian on the ground; he was losing blood faster than he was making it.

"What can we do," My words were hushed; I knew the answer. There was far too much distance between us and the cabin, there was no way we would make it. We hadn't even made it two hours in the direction of the cabin before Brian had begun to spit up blood down the front of Jack's shirt.

"Just...fuck, just let me think,"

Jack, who was kneeled beside Brian, his hands pressing down against the gaping wounds to try and stop some of the blood, knew what I knew.

We were losing him. Fast.

"Is this a part of your little game, you fucker?" Tim, with his arms open and palms facing up to the uncaring canopy above us, paced the forest floor.

Toby, who was crouched near Brian's head, holding his chin up so if he spit up blood again he wouldn't choke, was unreadable. His mind was blank and his eyes were miles and miles away.

My gaze wandered from Brian to Jack, then to Toby, then to Tim.

Just a few years ago, Toby and Tim had all but dragged me out of such a complete, utter desolation. They had smiled with me, had watched me cry, hell, they had shaped me into who I was. Who I would become.

For a long time, Brian and I were not on very amicable terms; it took a while to come to respect him as a mentor and to understand that he was doing what he thought was best. A sentiment that I had not only grown to appreciate but one I had grown to adopt.

Brian's half-glazed eyes landed on me.

He coughed again, more blood spilling from his battered lips.

It would have been Tim.

Brian's voice rang throughout my mind, a haunting reminder of just how far his protectiveness went. 

Take care of him.

Nobody else seemed to react to hearing him; Brian was specifically channeling me. He knew how far my protectiveness went, how much I would give for this broken family. How much I had already given.

Brian coughed again, a bubble of blood forming on his lip before bursting, trailing down his chin and soaking even deeper into the fabric of his torn shirt.

"You've taken everything from me! Everything!" Tim's voice was nearly a scream as it echoed throughout the forest. Bouncing from the trees, from the rocks, and finally seeping into the earth, riding on the backs of the newly forming raindrops.

Harder and harder it began to pour with each passing moment, though none of us could pay any mind to it.

Tim finally collapsed next to Brian, his hand softly smacking the skin he found at Brian's cheek; Brian had gone unresponsive.

"Come on, don't do this to me,"

There was nothing we could do. All of the 'we should have' and 'we could have' wasn't going to help us now.

"Don't fucking do this to me!"

I reached forward on instinct; Tim was slapping Brian harder now, desperately trying to see some sign of life that just wasn't there.

I made the mistake of looking up to meet Tim's gaze, but not before briefly glancing over Brian, who's eyes were glazed over now, void of life, yet still locked on me.

Reminding me.

I had to look after Tim now.

"Tim, he's gone." There was nothing else I could say, nothing else I could do. I let my hand gingerly linger on Tim's arm, stopping him.

"Don't,"

I shook my head, tears I didn't even realize had formed falling down my cheeks in streams.

"Tim."

He sucked in a sharp breath and looked down at Brian.

Minutes felt like hours; I knew he was studying him. Making sure he was really gone, making sure there really wasn't any life left in him. Making sure this all wasn't some sick, twisted nightmare.

"Finally, Tim looked away, but slammed his clenched fists down onto the ground.

"Don't take my brother,"

I looked over toward Jack, who shook his head.

Don't try to stop him. He has this right.

"Don't you take my fucking brother you piece of shit!"

Fist after fist slammed against the ground; he didn't even stop when his knuckles turned bloody.

I reached across Brian to grasp Tim's wrist, but only got shoved backward with enough force to knock me clean onto my side.

"And don't you fucking comfort me, (Name). This would have never fucking happened if it wasn't for you, and don't ever forget that."

His words cut me like a knife; he hadn't really meant that, right?

Give him time.

I looked to Jack who had extended a hand to help me back up. I graciously took it, and steadied myself once I was on my feet.

Tim spun on his heel and stalked into the forest; just before he was completely out of view, a gut-wrenching scream composed of grief, anguish, and resentment flooded the trees.

We had just lost Ben, and now, we had lost Brian. It didn't feel real, non of it felt like it had actually happened. Maybe we would all wake up and realize that we had shared a really terrible nightmare somehow; maybe we would all wake up and it would be right back to our version of normal. But that was wishful thinking. Ben and Brian were really gone, and if we couldn't pull ourselves together enough to develop some sort of plan, we were going to be next.

Give Tim tonight. Revenge can be planned tomorrow.

I looked to Jack once more and nodded. Then, my gaze flitted over to Toby.

He didn't speak, his face showed no emotion, and his mind was oddly quiet. All at once, everything came crashing down on my shoulders.

We had lost Ben, I had kissed Toby and we had just lost Brian in the span of two weeks; it had been constant pain with no reprieve for him. It was a mess.

And it really had been all my fault.

________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry I haven't posted in a really long time and that this chapter is short, but I haven't abandoned this book, not by a long shot. Just needed some time to get my bearings and get used to new medications and whatnot. Hopefully I'll be posting more, I really miss writing

This chapter made my depressed self really cry, so there's that

If you're going to Meatball, do it Extravagantly <3