Chapter Three.

There was no movement. There was no sound, not even small, barely audible intakes of breath from any of us. 

They both knew the comment from Jeff would have done the most damage to me, so I assumed they were waiting for a response from me. I knew they hadn't decided whether it would visceral or only verbal; their stances reflected that. Toby stood just slightly in front of me, his head positioned in such a way that he could shoot a side-eyed glance directly to me to see what my course of action would be. 

Frankly, they seemed much more bothered than I was. Jeff hadn't really been known to be the most intelligent of the group; I never really took anything he said into serious consideration as it was. I wasn't going to suddenly change my mind about him over one simple comment.

What's the thought process over there?

His voice echoing throughout my surprisingly empty mind jolted me back; what was my thought process?

Even though I really didn't want to be reminded of Jack, his presence along with his absence had been etched into my mind, over my skin, and finally, into my blood

"Sometimes no answer is all the answer you need,"

I didn't know if I hated more the fact that he had, usually, always been right, or that he even dared exist. No, I wouldn't allow myself to be so clouded by rage that I would deny Jack entirely; he had helped me through one of my toughest tribulations I had faced ever yet.

I could never hate him for existing, but I could hate him for choosing to do so without me.

I let out a small chuckle at my internal, rather depressing, monologue. Jeff winced and took a step back; I could only imagine what his feeble young adult mind was going through as he watched my face contort with instantaneously cycling emotions.

"I mean, I'd say we could ask him, but shit, it seems like he's lost the ability to communicate. Blind and elusive is one hell of a combination,"

Toby immediately raised a hand to his mouth to try and stifle his laughter. He didn't know if he was allowed to laugh at my pain or if he should still remain in his fighting stance, and because the conflict was evident not only over his entire body but in his mind as well, I just couldn't help myself.

For the first time in a long, long time, I doubled over. I found myself laughing so hard I was bordering hollering, and the boys followed suit.

Healing.

I was healing from the deep wounds that Jack had left. For a split, fleeting moment, I found myself happy enough to be grateful to have ever known him than to have lived a life ignorant of him. If I had never met Jack that terrible yet fateful night, I would have never been able to revel in such a moment.

For the first time in years, I felt as if I finally had a choice. I didn't have to grieve him until he returned; I didn't have to even think about his return. He could be gone forever, and I could grow to be happy. I could grow without him.

I was laughing so hard that I had lost my breath for a moment and landed directly onto the back of my partner; one hand rested heavily against his lower back as I nearly fell to my knees, still laughing through the entire event. Either he honestly didn't notice or didn't care as he swung an arm back to wrap around my shoulders to steady me and try and bring me back up to my feet. At that point, I had shed a few tears from how intensely I had been laughing, and this didn't escape Toby's notice; nothing ever really did.