. Thermodynamic Equilibrium

𝚆𝚘𝚛𝚍 𝙲𝚘𝚞𝚗𝚝: 2668
𝙿𝚞𝚋𝚕𝚒𝚜𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝙳𝚊𝚝𝚎: 11-5-2024

﹏﹏﹏﹏ PROLOGUE

A powerful tree, its moss-clad branches providing shelter to an array of wildlife, dominates the border of a bustling city

A powerful tree, its moss-clad branches providing shelter to an array of wildlife, dominates the border of a bustling city. The roots of the tree give rise to strong foundations for the buildings placed carefully on its timber, ones that are brimming with potential and ambition. Within these city grounds, a prosperous civilization thrives– the capital of the Nation of Wisdom, Sumeru City.

The Akademiya was the most esteemed institute of the nation, where scholars from all seven nations dreamed to study. The pursuit of knowledge went beyond the borders of Sumeru, and scholars with a wide array of interests and passions were welcomed with open arms. To reflect that diversity, the Akademiya was divided into six distinct Darshans, each specializing in their own field of research.

Despite their equal standing, the Darshans were not held in the same regard by the public. The Kshahrewar Darshan, which focuses on technology, is a prime example. Around 20 years ago, the pride of the Kshahrewar, the famed mechanic, vanished along with his research. He had been researching Mecha built by ancient civilizations, but when he ventured into the ginormous Ruin Golem in the desert, he was never seen again. Many assumed he had died, but there were also some rumours that claimed otherwise.

This event marked the last prominent achievement of the Kshahrewar Darshan, which has since struggled to regain its former glory. Despite the setback, research into technology continued, quietly and with limited funding, as scholars from the Darshan made substantial contributions to the development of Sumeru City's architecture.

Then there's the Spantamad Darshan, with an extensive history of research around the elements of this world. In the past, many scholars in this division had been interested in the topic of mechanical lifeforms and had pushed the limits of their studies. However, when the research got out of hand, it was banned from the Akademiya. Those who tried to pursue this field of research after the implementation of this rule were swiftly expelled for their actions.

The Akademiya has several rules that must be strictly followed. All of them were set in place for the safety of scholars and the city, for even the pursuit of the truth needs a limit.

"So..." a young boy spoke up, staring directly at you with a curious gaze. "So intelligence is like.... knowing that a tomato is a fruit. But then wisdom would be knowing not to put it into a fruit salad, right?"

"That's correct," you answered, trying not to chuckle at the apt comparison. Despite his age, the kid was quite astute.

The boy was filled with excitement as he continued to ask questions, never seeming to run out of energy or ideas. "Wait, there's something else," he said eagerly. "Okay... I understand, but- What Darshan are you even from?"