Chapter 05

"Look! We must be nearly there," Cassiopeia said happily as the sky became a dark navy blended with black and the lights of Hogsmeade came into view as the train passed them. The three of them had already changed into their robes and were eagerly waiting to arrive at Hogwarts.

"The last one down the train is a rotten dragon egg." Sirius grinned at them. The three of them ran down the train and earned themselves many glares and a few insults from the students they had pushed. 

Cassiopeia was first to reach the door of the train and James came right after her closely followed by Sirius. Gasping, Cassiopeia fell to the ground as she bumped into someone who stumbled slightly.

"Are you blind?" The older boy snapped. James extended his hand to help her up which she took furiously as she stood up and glared at the boy.

"It was an accident, troll-dung"

"Bloody first years!" The older boy hissed and walked away with his friends who were laughing.

"Stupid git," Sirius said taking out his wand and going after the boy but was pulled back by James.

"What are you doing, mate?"

"Isn't it obvious? I'm going to hex him."

"You don't even know any spells, Sirius. What were you going to do? Throw sparks at him?" Cassiopeia hissed.

"I forgot about that."

"Firs' years! Firs' years, this way!" A giant man waved over the crowd of students.

"Woah!" James grinned and held Sirius and Cassiopeia by their arms so as not to lose them in the crowd as they made their way towards the giant.

"Yeh'll get yer firs' sight o' Hogwarts in a sec," Hagrid called over his shoulder, "jus' round this bend here. No more'n four a boat!"

The narrow path had opened suddenly onto the edge of a great black lake. Perched atop a high mountain on the other side, its windows sparkling in the starry sky, was a vast castle with many turrets and towers. 

Cassiopeia was grinning so widely she didn't notice James run with her and sirius both dragged behind him. 

The three of them got onto the first boat, James and Sirius were talking about something and didn't notice a boy trying to get onto the boat with them, but Cassiopeia did.

 She helped him up so he wouldn't fall in the lake. He had sandy brown hair and warm brown eyes that had dark circles under them. He looked quite ill and worn out.

"Thanks." He said as he took a seat next to Sirius and opposite her.

"Anytime," She smiled. "I'm Cassiopeia, but Cassie is fine."

"I'm Remus Lupin," He put his hand into his pockets trying to find something." Would you like some chocolate?" He asked holding up a chocolate frog.

"Cheers," She grinned, taking it from him.

"Everyone in?" shouted Hagrid, who had a boat to himself. "Right then -- FORWARD!"

And the fleet of little boats moved off all at once, gliding across the lake, which was smooth as glass. Everyone was silent, staring up at the great castle overhead. It towered over them as they sailed nearer and nearer to the cliff on which it stood.

"Heads down!" yelled Hagrid as the first boats reached the cliff; they all bent their heads and the little boats carried them through a curtain of ivy which hid a wide opening in the cliff face.The castle was bigger than anything Cassiopeia had ever seen, everyone was staring in awe not wanting to look away. 

"It's looks brilliant!"

"That it does..." James replied still staring at the castle.

 They were carried along a dark tunnel, which seemed to be taking them directly underneath the castle, until they reached a kind of underground harbour, where they clambered out on to rocks and pebbles.