Chapter 1

"Nice and easy. breathe. don't overthink it, just embrace the moment. Here we go."

All my life I have been dreaming and practicing for this moment. Hard work, dedication, and sacrifices made to be right here, in this moment, on the golf course of my first major competition as a golfer.

Last hole – hole 18- the finishing hole of Pinnacle Point that can't be forgotten easily. This Par 5 plays along the cliffs of Eden Bay and stretches a dashing four hundred-and-sixty-three meters.

I tee up my golf ball and breathe slowly. In. out. My driver is usually my worst club in my golf bag, but if I want to win this, I have got to get distance.

It went straight. Phew.

As I make my way down to the second shot, I can sense all of the spectators' making comments under their breath as they follow me down to the last few shots.

Second shot, straight and good enough.

Same goes for the third and I'm on the green. Not only am I on the green, I got it close to the flag. Now, all I need to do is sink this ball into the hole to make a birdie.

Walking up to green, people from all over the world are cheering for me. some people are proud, some are rooting for the other girl I'm playing against. She is good, but she isn't me. this is my game. My time to shine. I haven't even noticed her the last few holes. I have been so focused on my own game, that I forgot I was competing in a championship.

Shit. now I can't stop thinking about her and how she is playing. My nerves start rising, and my palms are sweaty.

She putts her ball into the hole, making a birdie. Well, done. I'll give that one to her. She and her caddie read the slope exactly precise and the ball went in smoothly.

My turn. Again, I say to myself," Nice and easy. Breathe. Don't overthink it. Embrace the moment. Here we go."

Easier said than done.

As I setup to my ball, ready to make the birdie, for the win, I am in my zone. Focused on the ball, taking the slope into consideration too.

Three. Two. One. Easy stroke back and – just as I was about to make the stroke, I flinched. I basically glitched. I came this far, worked so hard, concentrated the whole round.

Just to fuck it up.

"And she misses the winning putt, better luck next time for Olivia Hender!" is all the commentators could say as I miss and tap the ball in for par. Tears are starting to build up, I can feel it, but I can't cry, not in front of my mom, my coach, and especially not the media.

I shake her hand. Her fucking hand that is going to hold my trophy. I walk off with my head bowed down. Not showing my emotion to anyone. Not even my caddie as he gives my back a good pat.

"Well done, Olivia! Even though you didn't take the win today, it gives us reason to get back and practice even harder!" coach Martin stated with a firm and "coachable" voice.

"I'm so proud of you Oli! You can be so grateful for how far you have come" said my proud, yet humbling mom as she embraces me tightly.

Everyone around me is happy, proud, grateful. But I can't get over that I just... lost. I know I can't always win everything, but this was supposed to be my story, my silver line, my story of success. And it isn't. I guess it never was.

All I can think about is getting these damn cameras out of my face. So, I start walking faster towards the clubhouse, with my head still down, not trying to wait for my mom or my coach. I just need to get out of here. I need some time alone. I need silence.