Chapter 7: Grand High Witch Ultimate

____

"Why do we need to uglify?"
Sophie peeked through her fingers at Professor Manley's bald, pimpled head and squash-colored skin, trying not to gag. Around her, Nevers sat at charred desks with rusty mirrors, cheerily basking tadpoles to death in iron bowls. If she didn't know better, she'd think they were making a Sunday cake.

Why am I still here? She fumed through furious tears. I should be with Y/n at beauty class right now.
"Why do we need to be revolting and repugnant?" Manley jowled. "Hester!"
"Because it makes us fearsome," Hester said, and swigged her tadpole juice, instantly springing a rash of red pox.
"Wrong!" roared Manley. "Anadil!"
"Because it makes little boys cry," Anadil said, sprouting her own red blisters.
"Wrong! Dot!"
"Because it's easier to get ready in the morning?" Dot asked, mixing her juice with chocolate.
"Wrong and stupid!" Manley scorned. "Only once you give up the surface can you dig beneath it! Only once you relinquish vanity can you be yourself!"
Sophie crawled behind desks, lunged for the door–

The knob burnt her hand and she yelped.
"Only once you destroy who you think you are can you embrace who you truly are!" Manley said, glaring right at her. Whimpering, Sophie crawled back to her desk, past villains exploding in shingles. Smoky-green ranks popped out of thin air around her-
"1" over Hester, "2" over Anadil, "3" over oily brown-skinned Ravan, "4" over blond, pointy-eared Vex. Hort drank his draught excitedly, only to see a wee zit spurt from his chin. He smacked away a stinky "19", but the rank smacked him right back.

"Ugliness means you rely on intelligence," Manley leered, slinking towards Sophie. "Ugliness means you trust your soul. Ugliness means freedom." He flung a bowl onto her desk. Sophie looked down into black tadpole juice. Some of it was still moving.
"Actually, Professor, I believe my Beautification teacher will object to my participation in this assign–"
"Three failing marks and you'll end up something far uglier than me," Manley spat. Sophie looked up.
"I really don't think that's possible."
Manley turned to the class. "Who would like to help our dear Sophie taste freedom?"
"Me!" Sophie whipped around. "Don't worry," Hort whispered, "you'll look better this way." Before Sophie could scream, he plunged her head into the bowl.

__

Lying in a puddle on the banks of Good, Agatha and Y/n both thought back to what just occurred in the evil castle.
"Huh?" Y/n said as she stood up and looked over her body. "I'm completely dry?" Which wasn't so true for Agatha. It was almost like someone had magically fixed up her appearance, but she couldn't see the culprit.
"It's this place, it's making her insane." Agatha said in frustration, ignoring the weird magic at hand, chopping it up to just her own bad luck.. If she wouldn't feel guilt for leaving Sophie here to die, she would have just taken Y/n with her home. She almost felt like doing that, then she wouldn't need to fight for Y/n's attention from Sophie (or some stupid prince).
"Well, it's clear she just has the wrong values of good and evil. So let's just wait until she breaks." Y/n said and dusted herself off, then helped Agatha up. "I'm surprised if this lasts the entire day, by lunch she'll be so tired and devastated that we might just maybe convince her to go home. We'll just have to go to class."
"But what if one of us fail?" Agatha said, more worried she would fail than Y/n. "You won't Agatha. You're a good person, as long as the classes is based on what's truly good, then there is nothing to worry about "
"Yeah, you're right," Agatha said, confident, "I'll prove Sophie wrong and then we'll go home."

-

Agatha's hope died ten minutes later. Professor Emma Anemone, whistling in a blinding yellow dress and long fox-fur gloves, walked into her pink taffy classroom, took one look at Agatha, and stopped whistling. But then she murmured
"Rapunzel took some work too," and launched into her first lesson on "Making Smiles Kinder." "Now the key is to communicate with your eyes," she chirped, and demonstrated the perfect smile. With her bulging eyes and wild yellow hair matching her dress, Y/n almost thought her teacher looked like a caricature in a story book.