Chapter 6

What do you have next? Asked Penny. Seaology, reading and writing, homeology, break time, lunch, survival, history, advanced swimming, and music I said all together. Penny looked at me then back at her schedule then back at me. What? I asked. Her eyes got all big and I swear I couldn't hear her breathing. Penny! Are you okay!? I asked she squeezed my arms really hard, and I mean really hard. I...... Have...... The....... Same.........SCHEDULE!!!!!!!!!! She started jumping.. Err I mean bobbing upside down ( you can't really jump if your not on the ground) all the other mermaids were looking at us strangly. Penny was a real drama queen sometimes. Hoooooooo! The bell I mean horn rang. Come on Penny I yelled at her were going to be late.

We swam as fast as we could to seaology. I clasped my hands together and prayed for a nice teacher. My prayer was granted we had miss. Sweet water. She told us all about the the sea and its creatures. By the end of the year we would know about all the seas and over 200 creatures. Today we just went over some of the creatures that we would cover in this semester. I liked miss. Sweet water she was really sweet.... No pun intended......

Next was reading and writing. All I have to say is that they don't have books instead they have scrolls. I tried not to act surprised but I couldn't help it. To write we used octopus ink filled into a hollow seaweed that was closed at both ends but one side was pointed and had a little hole in it for the ink. The seaweed was surprisingly strong. Our teacher mrs. Weed told us to write how we liked the school and pick a scroll and read. It took me a few minutes to properly write on the scroll with the sea ink ( that's what they called it) but I finally figured it out. The scrolls were pretty good, you just unrolled them to read and when it got to long you just rapped the part of the scroll that you already read on another scroll behind it. Mrs. Weed was okay,strict but nice.

Homeology. What was homeology? I asked penny but she just shook her head in response.

We sat down, waiting for the teacher. I am your homeology teacher mrs. Snap. Said a stern voice from the back of the room near the door. A really old mermaid with gray hair walked to the desk. Now, as all of you may be wondering what homeology is because this will be your first year that you have homeology, ology as you all should know means "the study of" so home-ology means the study of home or to say life. Here you will learn all about etiquette, manners, ballroom dancing, cooking, sewing and knitting, laundry, and all other necessary skills for life and home. One girl raised her hand, will we have to do the baby project she asked. Of course replied mrs.snap. Uh oh! I heard lots of mermaids gasp and murmur. Quiet! Yelled mrs.snap. Our fist assignment to tackle will be ballroom dancing, as you all will need a partner, Tomorrow we will take a little trip down to mermen academy. Everyone started squeezing and talking. I could barely hear the horn when class was over.

Aren't you exited! asked penny we get to dance with boys! Yeah! I fake yelled. In truth i was really nervous, I had a really bad reputation with boys. I couldn't even look them in the eye let alone dance with them. I bit my lip. Penny dragged me outside. Come on she said let's go on that big rock over there. I followed her not really paying attention. Penny was at the top and I was more than half way up when I realized something. The top was above water! I stopped. I couldn't go up their, I would turn into a human. Uhhh uhhh what could I do I thought and in desperate need to get away I did the most stupid and cliche thing possible: I moved my hand to my ear, I think someone's calling me I said to penny, I'll be right back. I'll come with you she said and before I could protest she was already down the rock and next to me. So for the rest of our break me and penny swam around the coral trying the find the non-existent voice the had said my name.

We swam into the crowded lunchroom exhausted. Penny slumped onto a coral on a empty table. Lets eat here she said I'm too tired to move. I opened my lunch and found that my mom had packed me a PB&J an apple, water and two chocolates. I handed one chocolate to penny, thanks she said. She herself had a PB&J. Don't you just love PB&J she asked smiling. You bet! I yelled its the best thing ever. We slapped our hands together. Suddenly it got quiet. We looked around and realized that everyone was looking at us, oh we both said we started eating our sandwiches, soon it got noisy again.