Chapter one

"This case is crazy"

"Yeah, I know"

Clyde says to Thomas nodding while scratching his head. Both looking at the evidence board and then suddenly Thomas's phone rings it is the sister of the diseased, Lucy. Lucy wants to tell the officer something over the phone, Thomas answers the phone Lucy on the other end asks him if they could meet. Thomas agreed that they should meet at the town square. Thomas then informed Clyde of the meeting and they therefore agree to be there after two hours.

Meanwhile in the mansion, Judith the cleaner hears the doorbell ring she rushes to the door and she finds a lady wearing a red dress and a man who looked rather young. Good morning my name is Veronica and this is my son Norbert. I am well acquitted with lady Elizabeth is she in? Yes Judith answers and asks if the two were invited by lady Elizabeth they say no. But Judith tells them to wait for a bit as she informs lady Elizabeth of the visit. After sometime they were welcomed into the palace-mansion. Elizabeth enters the room and hugs the two warmly and welcomes them smiling.

"You could have informed me you were coming, but it is good to see you". Judith then brought some drinks and they started chatting happily they had not seen each other for a very long time. Veronica then turned to his son Norbert and told him that Elizabeth was his grandmother. This came as news to Norbert who was shocked at the same time pleased to hear this. He marveled at how his grandmother lived in the biggest house he ever saw. Suddenly lady Elizabeth phone rang she is told Maria is dead. She asks how it happened; she is told she was murdered in cold blood using a knife that had penetrated her chest making her to lose blood profusely this then resulted to her death. Elizabeth stands still muttering on her breath how could this happen she was so young. She tells the others the tragic news and all of them looked sad. Norbert who seemed not to know who Maria was asked who she was. Norbert is told that Maria was his stepmother, Norbert seemed perplexed as he had never met her. He is told that Maria had a young girl who was only fourteen years old and the father was an army man who came back home very often. Elizabeth then excuses herself to go and talk with her granddaughter who was at school at the time. Achievers was the school she attended and after signaling the chauffer to get into the car she took her handbag and started walking towards the German machine a black Mercedes Benz. The car was seen speeding off in the tarmacked pavement.

Thomas and Clyde arrive at the town square and they try to spot Lucy, after some Clyde who was driving police Landcruiser spotted her and Thomas waved at her," hey get into the car" Lucy who seemed not to be in a hurry and walked seductively boarded the car." I am sorry for your loss" Thomas started the conversation "thanks" lucy says with a heavy sigh' 'Eldoret town is not as safe as it was" Clyde interjected "yeah there is so much going on in this city nowadays ever since it was named a city by both the parliament and senate" Thomas who seemed to be overwhelmed by his thoughts said with finality.

They then parked the Landcruiser next to a café and all of them got out of the car and sited outside of the café where no one seemed to be. A waiter came outside and recognized both Clyde and Thomas, they seemed to be regulars. "Kipkurui konech chaik" {Kipkurui get us some tea} "sawa" {okay] Kipkurui replied. Clyde tells Lucy that they would be patient with her and if she was not ready to talk about what had happened, they would pardon her. But lucy looked at him and replied "I am ready I just want justice for my sister". "Okay" Clyde and Thomas reply in uniform. Thomas took out a notebook and wrote the date. Clyde asks where she was at the time of the murder. Lucy whose tears started to stream down her cheeks "why are you asking me that, are you implying I killed my only sister?" No!!! No!!! both of them responded almost in unison. "We are on the same team on this one we just want to know, so that it would be easier to solve this case." Thomas said. Lucy took out her handkerchief and wiped her tears. "I am sorry I thought I was ready" it is okay Thomas said. In no time Kipkurui brought tea in a tray and served them and he then walked away after saying "karibu" {welcome}. All I know is that my sister Maria was going through a lot as her in laws treated her like a dog. There was a time I went to her place and a lady named Elizabeth had visited her. Lady Elizabeth was her mother-in -law, yet she slapped her hard after an argument between them had ensued. "Go back to where you came from, you are not feeding well my grandchild that is your only job is that too much to ask?" Maria looked down and when I got to the kitchen where they were as they had not closed the front door. I looked at her and asked what was going on but all she said was, it was none of my business. So, I did not say another thing but I knew something was going on. Lucy said and then took a deep breath and said with finality I would have been with her as she was going through all this while tears streamed down her face.

Lady Elizabeth talked to Abigail, Maria's daughter after meeting with her at the headteacher's office. She was told the unfortunate news at first, she did not believe what she was told she was shocked and at first denied but then suddenly busted out crying and lady Elizabeth comforted her and after wiping all her tears they boarded the Mercedes Benz and drove to a hotel where they treated themselves. "It is okay everything is okay" Elizabeth continued to ensure her." Does daddy know?" "Not yet". Lady Elizabeth knew that her son Fredrick deeply loved his wife and would be very devastated if he heard the news. But he had to know of the news one way or the other. Fredrick was a soldier in the army and because of his great strengths he was a member of 'Recce squad' and was moving gradually to being the head of the squad everybody knew this and it was just a matter of time as he directed all missions and the soldiers greatly respected him.