Chapter 12

Over a couple of weeks I began to become comfortable in school. I didn't have much time to myself because I had so much work to finish to catch up on. That tends to happen when you have been out of school for two years. I wasn't sure how long it was going to take but all the teachers were being really helpful. It was a strange transitional period from being on the road to being a student. It was the most backwards experience I've ever had.

The institute was definitely a different school. Apart from the obvious, that everyone who attended were mutants and had incredible abilities, the way the classes were taught were very different. Every teacher knew every student personally and the lessons were varied because of the lack of actual teachers. There was normal classes, English, Maths, Sciences, etc and the not normal ones, the X-Men training and the classes on training your mutation. This was a lesson I had yet to attend. The professor hadn't pushed yet but I knew he would ask again soon and for good reason.
There were countless times where I would notice a picture or objects shaking or things falling over when I could too angry, scared or excited. Luckily the worse thing to happen was another student almost being hit by some falling books. But I knew how quickly things could escalate.

Those fleeting moments when I had spare time in the Institute were filled with fun. Kitty and I had begun a movie night in our room on Fridays, after a stressful week of school. Those who attended this had been beginning to grow, Rogue started to join our nights of fun, and things were really going well. John was still being kinda annoying but I guess that was his charm. And anyway I didn't want to hit him all the time. Only some of it.
**********************
One especially sunny day after school in the third week I decided to sun lounge by the pool. I had decided to take a break from working and enjoy the weather.  I had just settled down when I heard the sound of footsteps approaching. A shadow fell across my closed eyelids and I opened my eyes and squinted up from my sun lounger and to see Bobby looming over me.
"Hey snowcone." I grinned.
"What are you doing?" He asked an amused expression on his face.
"Sunbathing isn't it obvious." I declared.
"But it's eight o'clock."
"So?" I asked " There is still sun," I motioned to it with right hand. " so I can still sunbathe."
"I can see your logic but that doesn't mean that it isn't chilly." He pointed out gesturing to my lack or cardigan or jumper.
"I've made it through colder nights, this is nothing and aren't you meant to be able to handle the cold? You are ice boy."
"Man." He corrected.
"Not quite yet." I teased.
He rolled his eyes at me. "Anyway I had actually came up to you for a reason before you distracted me."
"You were the one that asked what I was doing." I pointed out.
"Anyway, have you seen Rogue?" He sounded hopeful.
I thought for a minute.
"Have you checked the library? I remember her asking if I needed help with my school work because she was working on hers anyway. But I turned her down to enjoy the sun. She might be there."
Bobby's blue eyes twinkled and he gave me a broad smile before turning to leave.
"Thanks Hailey." He called over his shoulder as he ran back inside.
And I couldn't help but watch him until he disappeared round a corner.

The next day, after my sun lounging evening, in the morning I had been walking about with Kitty as we waited for classes to start. Kitty danced about as she reenacted scene from one her favourite science fiction movies and I tried not to laugh.
"And then, and then he whips out his laser gun and he, he! Guess what he does!"
"Shoots the guy?" I asked not sure if I wanted to know.
She turned towards me walking backwards down the corridor
"No, it's awesome he uses it to-" Kitty abruptly stopped as she slammed into a body.
She almost hit the floor before a large hand reached out and caught her arm, dragging her up gently.
"I'm so sorry." Said Peter, the strong looking but kind hearted boy.
"No I'm sorry. I should have looked where I was going." Bubbled Kitty as she stared up at his large frame, her cheeks pink with embarrassment.
"Well no harm done."
He released his grip on her arm and continued on his way.
Kitty stayed frozen until he turned the corner.
"That's so embarrassing!" She's bursts out, her small cheeks still flaming.
"It was just into Peter."
"Still."
I noted her blushing cheeks and nervous energy.
"Hey do you like-" I exclaimed before Storm's voice cut up the corridor.
"The professor would like a word with you in his office."
I nodded my head before turning back to Kitty.
"This is not over." I teased.
She scurried away sticking her tongue out at me before I turned a followed Storm.
*************************************
"I'm sure you are wondering why I called for you but don't worry you are not in any trouble." Said the professor as I took a seat in front of his desk.
"Then why?" I asked curiously.
"You remember I mentioned that you will need to start training your powers. I think now that you have gotten settled we could discuss this."
I felt my stomach begin to churn but nodded my head.
"I know what your powers are but we do not know the extent of them. So we simply wish to give you a small test and give you some private lessons on control. Then, only when you feel ready, you can train with everyone else. Does that sound suitable?" He asked kindly leaning forward to look at me.
And with another nod I agreed to something that was surely be hell.
"Someone will come to your room to collect you for you first lesson, tomorrow. You may go to class now."
I hadn't even noticed that the bell had rang.
I scurried out the room and sprinted down the halls and slipping into my first class. Storm gave me a nod and I slid next to Kitty.
"What did he want to talk about?" She whispered in my ear.
"I'll tell you later." I whispered back as Storm turned to give us a look.
*************************
The next day I was in my room talking with Kitty after school when I was called to training. Logan burst through out door, practically giving us a heart attack, and simply said.
"Hey kid it's time."
Kitty stared at me quizzically and I shrugged.
"Training time." I explained. She gave an understand nod.
"You'll be fine." She smiled supportively. I smiled back but couldn't entirely push away the sick feeling in my stomach.
I turned to Logan and followed him out the door, after giving Kitty a half hearted thumbs up.
"Lead the way." I sighed while gesturing about widely.
Logan strode forward and I trailed after him until we reached one of the elevators, that I presumed were to take Professor Xavier to the higher levels.
So I almost had a heart attack when it started to descend. Logan sensed my spike of panic and glanced over at me.
"Scared of an elevator." He asked skeptically.
"No I just didn't know it went down. Actually I didn't even know there was a down." I spluttered.
"You learn new things everyday kid."
He didn't laugh but I could see a hint of humour in his eyes.
That was good.
I think.

I gazed about wide eyed as he led me out of the elevator through some white sleek hallways into a large room with a high ceiling and metal walls. It was almost empty except from some targets at the opposite end in the room and a small basket full of balls. After scanning the room I turned my quizzically to Logan.

"I thought we were training."

"We are. This is your first test. You're going to try to levitate these balls."

I couldn't contain my spluttered laugh. I know. Immature. But hey, I couldn't not laugh.

"Hey kid be serious."

"Fine, fine." I said trying to suppress my laughter. Taking a deep breath I composed myself.

"Now do your thing kid."

I took another deep breath and concentrated on a ball in the crate and imagined it floating upwards, envisioning it doing what I wanted. And.....

Nothing happened. Zilch. I stared for minute after growing minute and nothing. I groaned internally.

"Be patient kid."

Okay, so externally.

After about five minutes I heard Logan sigh.

"This is not working. New plan. Go stand over there."

I stood where he was standing and he leaned toward the box, lifted up some of the balls, and then proceeded to fling them at my face. Hard.

I ducked instinctively but still got smacked on the shoulder. And it hurt.

"Hey!" I protested. "What the hell? How is that training."

"Waiting wasn't working. I decided it was best to just fling you into it."

Literally. Fling. And he didn't stop as soon as he explained itself he presumed the throwing. I tried to force myself to concentrate but it's hard when things are flying towards you. Then I noticed one flying towards my face. I felt a twinge of panic as it came hurtling towards me and I pull in my gut. I winced, squeezing my eyes shut. Waiting for impact. That never came. Slowly I opened my eyes and gasped. The ball was floating in midair. It was shaky and kept dipping and rising from different heights but it was working.

I glanced up to Logan and saw a grin on his face. I did it. And nothing went wrong. Albeit it was just one measly plastic ball but still. Maybe this power thing wasn't actually that bad. I turned my gaze and some concentration to the rest of the plastic balls piled in the box. I closed my eyes and willed them to float. I didn't imagine or envision. I felt them in my mind and willed them to float, and it was a pretty weird feeling. After a couple of seconds I felt something. Another tug in my gut. Then I opened my eyes. In front of me, slowly but surely, some of the plastic balls were beginning to rise. 
"That's better." Grinned Logan.
I felt a smile growing on my face. I was doing it and it wasn't going out of control.....
"What's going on." A voice ran out loudly in the room.
I jumped in shock and the balls flew about bouncing about wildly of the walls and the floor.
I turned around in shock to see a confused Professor Grey staring at me and Logan.
I glanced around my eyes flicking back and forth between the two adults.
"Uh......I'm......we were..." I struggled to form a coherent sentence.
"We were training." Supplied Logan.
"But I'm her teacher." Said Professor Grey.
I raised an eyebrow and turned to face Logan.
"You're not my teacher?"
"Nope."
"Did you just want to pelt me."
" Kid I wanted to teach you."
He turned his back and started exiting the room, after sending a smile to Jean.
Suddenly he turned and flung a final ball at me. And before it even had a chance to hit me it stopped.
"And I think it's working."
I snapped back to reality and focused on Professor Grey, the ball bouncing noisily to the ground.
She turned her gaze from Logan's retreating back and met mine with a fiery determination.
"Well I know that you can use them. Now let's start your real training."