Ivory

Friday, May 10th

"Find the tape. Find the tape. Find the tape." I mumble to myself as I spin around, getting tighter with every pirouette. It's not audible what I am saying, but it sounds like I'm making noise.

Tape. Tape. Tape. I think in my head this time, noticing people start to look at me as they speed by my vision. I lose my balance and pull my foot in towards my knee.

"Tighter." I whisper softly as my foot glides down my leg to shift from a ballet pirouette to a coupé pirouette. I continue to do pirouettes as I focus on gracefully finishing. I control my ending, shifting into a lunge to conclude my turns.

"Oh, well done," my dance teacher, Ms. Montgomery, praises me after I walk towards my belongings, grabbing my water bottle. I smile softly towards her, "Thank you."

Ms. Montgomery stands behind me, beginning her critique of my performance. "That was done incredibly well, Ivory. The only correction I have is to hold your focus on the spot. Enjoy having the tape on the mirror because during your on stage performances, there will be no tape. Other than that, I have no complaints."

She turns away from me and glances up at the clock. She turns toward all the other girls in the class that are sitting at the front of the room. "Alright girls, class is over for today. Have a wonderful weekend. Ivory please stay behind," she finishes as she walks over to her music station and I follow suit. She waits until everyone leaves the room before speaking.

I fiddle with my necklace out of nerves.

"So, Iv," she takes a deep breath and continues, "I was contacted by Karley Morgan, the top performance coach in the U.S., and she wants you to go on tour with her for a new television show."

I. am. stunned. I have no idea what to say.

"You don't have to decide if you want to go right this moment, but I need to know by Monday night," she smiles happily as her hand rests on my shoulder.

"Karley Morgan wants me to do a show with her?" I smile wider than I ever have before. "What kind of show is it?"

"It's a competition show. You are being paired with a boy from, where was it..?" She says more to herself than to me, "oh, yes, South Carolina. The two of you will be going on tour together with her. It's airing for thirteen weeks and starts June 2nd, but you would need to leave next Friday to meet with him in Virginia for two weeks."

I want to do it. This could be huge for me. I squeal softly and nod, "I want to do it. Have you talked to my mom yet?" I hope she has and she already said yes.

"I have spoken with her and she says it's all your decision. You're eighteen now," she smiles and hugs me, "Ivory, this could change your life, but I hope it's everything you want and more."

I smile and nod aggressively before grabbing my dance bag. I walk out of the studio room to see all my friends outside. They collectively murmur variations of, "what was that all about?" I sit at the table with a grin on my face and they all sit with me.

"Apparently, I was asked to be on a competition show. It tours all over the U.S. and I dance with a partner from South Carolina." They all stare at me excitedly, some saying, "tell us more!"

"Karley Morgan will be my coach and she's the one who reached out to Ms. Montgomery to get me on." They rotate hugging me, shrieking praises in my ear simultaneously.

After we exchange our good-byes, I walk out to my car and sit in the drivers seat. I squeal to myself as I pull out, driving home.

—————————————————————————

hiii! i'm sorry this is short, but this chapter and the next will kind of be prologues. i put a lot of thought into this so please be nice! :) have a good day!