Chapter 3

Later the next day found Cassandra sitting in her car in front of Gabriel's mansion. She knew what needed to be done. She just didn't want to do it. Thinking of her father and how his life was on the line, she opened the door and got out of the car.

Cassandra made her way to the door on legs that shook. She would give anything to be somewhere else. Reaching the door, she wiped her sweaty palms on her slacks and rang the doorbell.

A few minutes later, the door opened. An elderly man in a butler's uniform smiled at her and said, "Hello."

Cassandra cleared her throat. "Hello. I'm here to see Gabriel."

"Come in, please." He opened the door wider. "My name is Harold. May I have yours."

"It's Cassandra," she said, crossing the threshold. "Cassandra Barnes."

Harold closed the door. "Mr. Dorsey's in his office. Let me show you the way."

Cassandra thanked him, following him across the giant entrance hall. She tried not to gawk at her surroundings, but feared she was failing miserably.

Harold led her up a small hallway, pausing at a door at the end of the hall. "Let me inform Mr. Dorsey that you're here." He knocked on the door and stepped into the room.

Cassandra heard him announce her name and then the deep rumble of Gabriel's voice responding. She took a deep breath to settle her nerves and schooled her features into a calm mask. It would be a cold day in hell before she let Gabriel see her unsettled.

Harold reappeared and ushered Cassandra into the office. "Will you require anything, sir?" he asked Gabriel.

"Cassandra, would you like something to drink?" Gabriel asked from behind his desk.

She turned to Harold. "I would enjoy a cup of Chamomile, if it's not too much trouble."

"Not at all," Harold said. "Do you take sugar or honey in your tea?"

"Sugar, thank you," Cassandra said.

"Nothing for me, Harold," Gabriel said. "Thank you."

"You're welcome, sir." Harold left the office.

Gabriel pushed back his chair, getting to his feet. He moved around the desk. "Let's sit on the couch."

Cassandra walked over to the black leather couch and took a seat. Gabriel joined her, sitting beside her. She could feel his body heat. The urge to put distance between them was strong. She forced herself to stay where she was.

"How are you, Cassandra?" Gabriel asked quietly.

"I've been better," she answered.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Gabriel said. "I've been told I'm a good listener."

He was giving Cassandra the opening she needed. She took a moment to gather her thoughts before she started. "My mother died three years ago. It was liver cancer."

"I'm sorry," Gabriel uttered softly.

"She was my father's world," Cassandra continued. "After she died it was like he became lost. He's been wandering through life aimlessly ever since."

"It's understandable when you've lost the other half of your soul," Gabriel muttered.

"He's taken to being reckless with his life," Cassandra said. "First it was alcohol and then sleeping pills. I got him into rehab and cleaned up the messes he made while under the influence."

Harold entered the office, carrying a mug of tea. "Here you go, Miss Cassandra."

"Thank you." Giving the man a smile, she took the mug from him.