Chapter 2

Frowning, Jane shook her head. "I'm sorry, Cass. I must have misunderstood you. Did you say $50,000?"

"I did." Cassandra reached for a glass of sweet tea and took a drink. "I was just as shocked when he told me."

"How are you going to get your hands on that much money?" Jane wanted to know, flabbergasted. "Do you even have that much money?"

"Nope." Cassandra set down the glass, picked up a napkin and wiped her mouth. "I've tried everything I can think of to get my hands on the money, everything except selling myself."

Jane pushed her plate away and said, "I know you don't like Gabriel, but have you thought of asking him for the money?"

Cassandra sighed heavily. "You and I both know if he gave me the money he would want something in return."

"Would what he wanted be so bad?" Jane uttered softly. "For all his faults, Gabriel is a good man. He would treat you right."

"Until the next woman came along," Cassandra said dryly.

"I honestly think if you were with him he wouldn't look at other women," Jane said, toying with her napkin. "You would have his complete attention."

"Dad has until tomorrow night to come up with the money," Cassandra said, choosing to ignore Jane's comment. "I'll think of something. I have to."

"It's not right that your dad expects you to bail him out," Jane said. "He got himself into trouble, damn it. He should get himself out."

At that moment, Cassandra's phone notified her she had a text message. She picked up her phone and glanced at the text.

"Who is it?" Jane inquired.

"My dad." Cassandra put down the phone. "He wants to know if I've had any luck getting the money."

"Are you going to answer him?"

"Not now," Cassandra responded. "I'll call him later. Let him sweat for a while."

Jane nodded with approval. "Good for you. He needs to know that you're not at his beck and call. I wish your mom was still with us. She was good at keeping your dad in line."

Cassandra's mother had died three years ago from cancer. Ever since then her father had been wandering through life aimlessly. "I wish she was still here too. I miss her."

"I know you do." Jane squeezed her best friend's hand gently. "Now let's try and save your dad."

Cassandra wondered if that was possible.

Gabriel was working in his home office, that evening, when the doorbell rang. He didn't make a move toward getting up. His butler, Harold, would take care of whoever it was.

A few minutes later, Harold entered the office. In his mid sixties, he had gray hair and brown eyes. He was average in height and thin.

"Sir, a Miss Jane Reeves is here to see you," Harold announced.

"Send her in," Gabriel said.

Harold disappeared and returned with Jane. "Shall I bring some refreshments, sir?"

Rising to his feet, Gabriel arched an eyebrow at Jane. "Do you want anything?"

"No, thank you," she answered.

"We're fine, Harold," Gabriel said.

"Very good, sir." Harold left the office, closing the door on his way out.

Gabriel gestured to a chair in front of his desk. "Sit, please."

Jane settled in the chair, placing her purse on the floor beside her.

"Does Cassandra know you're here?" Gabriel inquired, sitting back down.

"No," Jane muttered.

Gabriel grinned crookedly. "You naughty girl."

"This is serious," Jane said.

His heart skipping a beat, Gabriel demanded, "Is something wrong with Cassandra?"

"No, no, she's fine," Jane rushed to assure him. "Please let me explain."

"Go ahead then."

Jane told him about the conversation she had with Cassandra earlier that day.

"Her father needs to clean up his own damn mess." Gabriel massaged the nape of his neck. "She doesn't want to come to me for help, you say."

"She knows there will be strings attached if she does," Jane said.

"Smart woman."

Jane frowned. "Does there have to be strings?"

"Yes." Gabriel leaned forward, gazing into her eyes. "I've made no secret of the fact that I want her. If she comes to me for help, I'll help her, but I want something from her in return."

"You want her."

"That's correct." Gabriel replied. "I want her, and not just for one night. It wouldn't be a fling. I'd want something more serious with Cassandra."

Jane smiled softly. "Good, I'm glad. She needs someone to take care of her, treat her like she's special. She's been alone for so long. I want her to be happy."

"I can make that happen for her," Gabriel said. "She just needs to trust me, to place herself in my hands. She wouldn't regret it."

Jane grimaced and shifted slightly. "We both know she doesn't trust easily."

Gabriel cocked his head. "Why is that?"

"I won't betray her trust by telling you," Jane said. "She'll tell you if she wants you to know." She cleared her throat. "We both know she's not going to come up with the money. She will have no choice but to come to you."

"I won't be smug about it," Gabriel said. "I will treat the situation with the gravity it deserves."

"Thank you." Jane gathered up her purse and got to her feet. She looked down at Gabriel. "I dropped by to make you aware of what's going on, so you won't be blindsided."

"I appreciate it," Gabriel told her.

"Show your gratitude by not telling her I was here," Jane said. "I don't want her to know."

"Your secret will be safe with me." Gabriel stood. "Thank you for stopping by. Let me walk you out."

Jane held up a hand to stop him. "That's not necessary. I can show myself out."

"Take care, and drive safe," Gabriel said.

Jane thanked him, wished him a good evening, and then took her leave.

Alone again, Gabriel walked over to the bar cart in the corner and poured himself a glass of Whiskey. Taking his drink over to the window, he looked out onto the backyard.

He took a sip of his drink, his thoughts centered on Cassandra. If all went well she would be his. Once he had her in his arms, he would never let her go.

A/N: Thank you all for your support. I appreciate it. I hope you enjoyed the chapter. :)