Chapter 4

this is most likely a very lay understanding of psychology, forensic science, and the justice system. but hey. it's an ace attorney fanfic

_________________________________________________________

January 22nd, 2027

"Guten morgen."

Klavier seemed more collected this morning, though a far cry still from his usual self. Dark rims stuck underneath his eyes, and he remained looking small without his jewelry and gaudy coat. Today, however, color had returned to his cheeks, and his hair had been pulled back in a neat ponytail.

"Are you okay?" Apollo blurted before he had thought better of it- of course Klavier wasn't okay. He'd been arrested for murder.

"Ach. Perhaps it is better if I do not answer, Herr Forehead." Klavier snapped his fingers. It wasn't like Apollo had expected anything different, but Klavier dodging the question made something indescribable churn in Apollo's stomach, just like that day in October after the trial.

"Did you sleep well?" He tried instead.

"Such concern..." Klavier leaned forwards with a grin, hands on his hips. "I'm flattered, Herr Forehead, truly."

It was such a sad approximation of his usual self that Apollo wasn't even frustrated by it. "Prosecutor Gavin."

"Ach, alright." Apollo hadn't really expected Klavier to acquiesce, and especially not so quickly, but he was glad he did. "I slept poorly. Though, I am not treated badly. They suspect... I have prosecuted so many, I would be endangered with the other prisoners. I am in solitary confinement of my own. Ironic, nein?"

"Maybe." Apollo's mind turned to how small Klavier looked. "Have you eaten?"

"Nein." Klavier said rather sharply. He spoke again as Apollo opened his mouth. "I am not hungry."

"But you-"

"Ach!" Klavier's eyes widened, suddenly, and if he didn't know better, Apollo might suspect some distraction tactic. "Apollo, I am so sorry. I must ask of you something else."

"What is it?"

"My... my dog. Oh verdamt, I have neglected to feed her..." Klavier's hands combed through his ponytail.

"You were arrested. It's not your fault," Apollo said. "I'll feed her right after the trial today- if you aren't able to, that is."

Klavier's eyes flashed at the optimism in Apollo's voice, just before he looked away. "My keys... you may pick them up from the police, I believe."

Apollo sighed. It seemed Klavier's hopes weren't high. He wasn't sure if he was optimistic either- this seemed too open and shut for only one day in court- but he had to try. They couldn't give up before court had even begun.

"Prosecutor Gavin," he said, voice just a little too loud and creaky after his vocal practice, "I will do everything I can for you. I promise!"

Klavier blinked, silent for a moment afterwards. Apollo wondered briefly if he had blown the poor man's eardrums.

"You know," Klavier eventually said, thoughtful. "I am not much a prosecutor right now."

Apollo's cheeks heated up. What a ridiculous thing to get stuck on. "Then what am I supposed to call you?"

Klavier's eyes lingered on Apollo's as he brushed back his soft-looking bangs.

"Klavier would be fine," he said softly, and Apollo might have suspected teasing if he didn't look so sincere.