II: How I Met Uriel VII

I woke up in a small cell in the Imperial Prison. For a moment, I was confused. Then I recalled last night's events. Lex found a witness that could tie me to last night's bank heist. It must've been Nocturnal. No one else had been around at the time.

My thoughts were interrupted by an annoyingly familiar voice. "Oh look, an Imperial in the Imperial Prison." I turned to see Valen Dreth in the cell across from me. "I guess they don't play favorites, huh?"

I rolled my eyes at that. "Get a new line, Dreth. That one has gotten old."

"Come on now, Nebia. There's no need to be rude, is there? You might as well get cozy. They're never letting you out of here after all."

"Tell it to someone who cares, you arse."

Soon, we both heard a door close. Valen looked at me and sneered. "Did you hear that, Nebia? The guards are coming... for you! Hehehehe ha ha ha!"

I flipped him off, then listened to the echoes of footsteps. Most were heavy, which was to be expected. Yet, there were lighter footfalls as well. Was it a prisoner escort? Or could it be something else?

Soon, I heard an elderly voice ask; "Captain Renault, my sons are dead, aren't they?"

"We don't know that, sire," Renault gently replied. "The messenger only said they were attacked."

"No, they're dead. I know it."

Before long, a squad of soldiers in Blades armor stopped in front of my cell. A woman who I assumed was Renault glared at me. "What are you doing here prisoner?"

I couldn't help myself. "Having a picnic?"

One of her comrades, a Redguard, snorted at my comment. The other, an Imperial, said to her, "Must be a mixup with the Watch. Prisoner, head over to the window and stay there."

I nodded and did as I was told. Once I was against the wall, they entered my cell. An elderly man dressed in opulent robes was with them. When he saw me, his eyes widened with shock. "You... I've seen you..." He approached me and studied my face for a bit. "You are the one from my dreams." There was a solemn look on his face. "Then the stars were right, and this is the day. Gods give me strength."

I frowned. "Who are you?

He chuckled. "I am your Emperor, Uriel Septim VII. By the grace of the Gods, I serve Tamriel as her ruler. You are a citizen of Tamriel, and you, too, shall serve her in your own way."

My eyes widened. "The emperor is in my cell..." I paused, then frowned. "Sorry, hold on. Why are you in my cell?"

"Assassins attacked my sons and I'm next," Uriel explained. "My Blades are leading me out of the city along a secret escape route. By chance, the entrance to that escape route leads through your cell."

I raised an eyebrow. "Seriously? That's rather convenient."

He chuckled, smiling kindly. "Perhaps Lady Luck smiles down upon you. Regardless, it does not matter what you have done. That is not what you will be remembered for." Editor's Note: Did he know about Nebia's relationship with Nocturnal?

"So what happens now?"

"You will find your own path. Take care... there will be blood and death before the end."

With that cheerful thought, Renault told him, "Please, sire, we must keep moving," That was when the secret passage opened. "Better not close this one. There's no way to open it from the other side."

The Redguard looked at me. "Looks like this is your lucky day."

"It seems so," I agreed. "I'm Nebia.

"Baurus," he replied. "The other guy is Glenroy."