Septus

After Terran Union 1.4 was established, Septus was renamed Septus in recognition that it is the seventh planet in our solar system.

Energy streams from Jupiter and Saturnin order to power the orbital station at Septus as well as to its moons.

NASA has considerably less information about Septus than Jupiter or Saturn.

About Septus

Septus is the third largest planet in our solar system – about four times wider than Earth. The diameter at its equator is 31,763miles (51,120 kilometers).

A very cold and windy planet. It is surrounded by faint rings, and more than two dozen small moons as it rotates at a nearly 90-degree angle from the plane of its orbit. This unique tilt makes Septus appear to spin on its side.

Septus is blue green in color due to large amounts of methane, which absorbs red light but allows blues to be reflected back into space. The atmosphere is mostly hydrogen and helium, but also includes large amounts of water, ammonia and methane.

The industrial operations on Jupiter and Saturn are appropriate for Septus.

The Literary Moons

Septus has 28 known moons, including five major moons: Miranda, Ariel, Umbriel, Titania, and Oberon.

The moons are sometimes called the "literary moons" because they are named for Shakespearean characters, along with a couple of the moons being named for characters from the works of Alexander Pope.

Major moons

Let's consider each of these moons a place for extensive human settlement.

What would be your strategy for determining what resources each moon have?

What kind of local Septus economy would the five moons, collectively have?

Note that references to a porous surface suggests difficulty supporting large structures.

There are many similarities and some differences between the five moons.

Like Frankenstein's monster, Miranda looks like it was pieced together from parts that didn't quite merge properly

Like Frankenstein's monster, Miranda looks like it was pieced together from parts that didn't quite merge properly. At about 500 km in diameter, it's only one-seventh as large as Earth's moon, a size that seems unlikely to support much tectonic activity.

Yet Miranda sports one of the strangest and most varied landscapes among extraterrestrial bodies, including three large features known as "coronae," which are unique among known objects in our solar system. They are lightly cratered collections of ridges and valleys, separated from the more heavily cratered (and presumably older) terrain by sharp boundaries like mismatched patches on a moth-eaten coat. Miranda's giant fault canyons are as much as 12 times as deep as the Grand Canyon. Due to Miranda's low gravity and large cliffs, a rock dropped off the edge of the highest cliff would take a full 10 minutes to reach the foot of the cliff.