Chapter 6 - Guftaagoo

"Nahi likhwaana mujhe kisi kaa naam!", Neha screamed while she pulled her hand back. She stood up on her feet and stormed out of the venue, while tears fell out of her eyes.

The mehendi artist had really touched a strained nerve, with whatever she had said. Neha was so triggered that she had temporarily lost orientation of where she was, what time it was, and everything else.

Adam was silently observing everything that happened, from one corner of the venue. He quickly texted Millie telling her that he was leaving, to make sure Neha was okay. He also informed her that Umar's driver would drive them home once the function was over, and exited the venue, towards the car-park. He quickly started the car and raced towards the highway. After driving for around 5 minutes on the highway, He found Neha walking on the service-road.

It was around 10:30 pm, and the venue was on the outskirts of Karachi. Since the highway was well-lit and the traffic was surprisingly well-managed that day, it was quite easy to catch-up with her. Even though Adam was quite confident of finding her. He took a deep breath once he saw caught a glimpse of her. He caught up with where she was, and pulled down the window of the passenger seat.

A: Neha! Gaadi mein baitho, please! (He said softly, hoping she would listen to him)

N: Tum mera peecha kyun kar rahe ho?! Leave me alone! (She was screaming)

A: Please Neha, Tumhaara aise raat ko gyaara baje, highway par akele chalnaa bilkul bhi safe nahi hai

N: Tumhe samajh kyun nahi aata? Mujhe nahi aanaa tumhaare saath, Jaao yahaan se! (Neha screamed once again and started walking faster)

A: Neha, dekho.. I know you're going through something emotionally, but mein tumse uss cheez ke baare mein ek bhi sawaal nahi karoonga, trust me.. please gaadi mein baith jaao.. (Adam said while he stood in front of Neha, holding her shoulders firmly, in order to reassure her and make sure she gets into the car as soon as possible)

Neha was taken aback by Adam's sudden act of holding her by the shoulders. However, she didn't feel unsafe or uncomfortable with him doing that. More importantly, the words that came out of his mouth were so reassuring because, she knew that Adam had sensed that she was going through something, and him questioning her about it was her biggest fear. Rather, her biggest fear was that, if he had asked her any questions, she wouldn't be able to stop herself from sharing everything with him, and once he knew the truth about her marriage, he would judge her.

Her eyes that were blazing with anger, softened the minute she heard what he had said, and she looked at him, directly into his eyes. By then, Adam had realised that him impulsively holding onto Neha's shoulders, could have made her feel uncomfortable, so he had let go of her and moved away from her, only slightly.

As soon as he realised that she was looking at him, he moved towards the car, opened the passenger door for her and gestured her to get in. She moved towards the car and when she got in, Adam gave her a slight smile, closed the door, quickly got into the driving seat and started the car.

As they were on their way back home, there was pin-drop silence in the car. However, the silence wasn't awkward, it was peaceful. Neha slid the passenger window down and looked keenly at the full moon that accompanied them on their way home. Cool breeze fell on her face and strands of her hair moved here and there, as a result. Adam stole glances at her every now and then. He was relieved that she had agreed to come back home with him. She also looked a lot more relaxed right now, than she was in all their previous encounters after he had returned from the US.

"Kya hum chai peene ruk sakte hai? Mujhe actually bohot bhook lagi hai, and I'm too lazy to go home and cook something..", Adam asked cheekily and Neha just nodded lightly

In a few minutes, they had reached the Chai Dhaba and settled down on a table. Adam had placed an order for some Chai and Parantha. Their order had arrived, in no time and Adam thanked the guy who had served them while he sipped on his chai. Neha on the other hand just sat quietly, while she stared at the Kulhad that was kept in front of her. Adam was busy relishing his Chai-parantha when he realised Neha wasn't eating. He gestured her to start eating, with his eyes.

"Arre Haan! Tum toh apni chai thandi kar ke peeti ho! Yaad hai mujhe!", he said quickly, as soon as he remembered.

"Itni bhook lagi hai tumhe?", Neha asked.

"Haan yaar... Kitna bakwaas khaana tha vahaan..Aadha pakaa hua.. mujhse bilkul khaaya nahi gaya.. Meine Umar ko suggest kiya tha, ki catering ka contract hum le lenge, but he wanted me to enjoy his wedding fully, isiliye usne manaa kar diya tha.. ", Adam blabbered and Neha smiled lightly

"Karachi jaisi Chai aur parantha duniya main kahin aur nahi milta!", Neha exclaimed in excitement, as soon as she took the first sip of her chai.

"I know right! America jaane ke baad toh mein jyaadaa tar coffee hee peene lag gaya tha, kyunki agar achchi chai peeni hoti thi, toh voh khud hee banaani padti thi..", Adam said and Neha smiled again.

Later, Adam paid the bill both of them got into the car and left for Home.

The car ride was again a peacefully silent one.

"Ek baat Kehni thi tumse", Adam spoke again as he stopped the car in-front of the Qutub Mahal

"Kaho", Neha responded

"I'm sorry for ignoring your calls and messages for so many years.." Adam said.

"It's okay", Neha said with a light smile while she picked up her purse and opened the passenger door. She got out of the car and took a few steps towards the gate. While Adam waited in the car until she went inside.

Just then she turned around and walked towards the car again

"Thank you for today", She said with a smile.

******

Hey Guys! Since the last chapter was a very small one! Here is the next one!

So, Neha and Adam finally have a conversation! Let me know what you think of the story so far!!

Keep the feedback coming!

Lots of love!