Prank Gone Wrong

Începe de la început

Misty couldn't take it anymore and burst out laughing. "Do you want fries with that?" she asked, gripping the banister for support as she laughed hard.

Sarah gave a cry of anguish and pounced on her with her arms outstretched, ready to strangle her. But she stepped on a rubber snake and fell face down.

There was a moment of silence as they stared at her, and then an "Ouch," escaped Sarah's mouth.

Stacey glared at Misty and said, "Misty, you're so... so..." She sneezed hard. "Dead."

Jacob helped Sarah up again and said, "Not now guys. We'll deal with this later. Go get cleaned up first."

Sarah and Stacey disappeared back into their rooms, glowering at Misty as they went.

"I hope you have nothing else up your sleeves," said Jacob, narrowing his eyes at her.

"None, I promise," she said, holding up one of her hands in an oath and crossing the other one's fingers behind her back. "I didn't have much time. I just got up today just realized it was Halloween. Besides, I didn't get any other ideas in my mind."

"I hope you are speaking the truth," he replied and walked back into his room to get changed.

She waited till he went in and then walked down with a devilish grin on her face.

Jacob walked down and spotted Misty in the kitchen, alone. Her back was to him as she was bending over something on the counter.

"Hey," he said loudly.

Misty jumped, alarmed, and dropped something.

She turned around and said, "Oh, it's just you." Her expression changed to anger. "Why did you sc... startle me like that?"

"You wouldn't be startled if you weren't doing anything evil, would you?" he asked, a stern expression on his face as walked towards the fallen object.

"Evil is such a strong word," she replied, bending down to retrieve the object, but the piece of dirty cloth flew into his hands. He examined the soil-covered cloth.

"What is the meaning of this?" he asked, waving the soiled rag at her.

"It's nothing," she replied, leaping up to get the cloth back. "The soil fell from that flower pot and onto the counter, so I was wiping it clean."

He looked up at the flower pot on top of the fridge and said, "The pot is all the way over there. How did the soil end up here?"

"I took it down to water it. It looked weak and thirsty." She made a frantic grab at the cloth, but he pulled it away from her grasp.

"Look," he said, his expression firm, "if you tell me what you have been up to, you won't have to bare the consequences later."

She stopped leaping and stared at him.

"What sort of consequences?" she asked him suspiciously.

"Oh, I dunno," he replied, folding the cloth. "I'll think about it though."

"Hey look, I didn't do anything, okay?" she replied sharply and left the kitchen in a huff.

During breakfast, they sat at the table in silence. Misty had come down a while later after she left the kitchen and asked whether she could help Jacob, but he turned down the offer, knowing that she might put something in the food when he wasn't looking. He made himself a cup of coffee and toast, while the girls helped themselves with cornflakes. Stacey and Sarah were still staring hard at Misty, who was peeking nervously from behind her cereal box. Jacob pulled out the coffee powder and checked its contents, just to make sure whether Misty had planted anything in it while she was in the kitchen, but couldn't spot anything fishy. He removed his favorite raspberry jam from the fridge and did the same. After a while, he poured the steaming coffee into his mug and carried it to the table along with his toast. He sat down and looked at Misty, who was staring at him intensively. He narrowed his eyebrows at her and turned over his toast to test it out. When he was sure that there was nothing suspicious about the food did he start applying the jam on the toast.