A short story by Barbie Love

The crisp morning air greeted the group of Bigfoot hunters as they gathered at the edge of the forest, their excitement evident. Among them were Darryl, Ellie and a man who simply called himself Bubba.

Each carried their own set of hopes and doubts, but all shared a common goal: to uncover the truth behind the elusive creature said to roam these woods.

Leading the expedition was Darryl, a rugged outdoorsman with a weathered face and a sharp eye for tracking.

"Alright, everyone, listen up," Darryl called out, his voice carrying through the stillness of the forest. "We'll split into up and cover different areas of the woods. Remember, our primary goal is to gather evidence—footprints, hair samples, anything that can prove the existence of Bigfoot."

The group nodded in agreement, their anticipation building with each passing moment. As they set off into the wilderness, the dense foliage enveloped them, casting dappled shadows on the forest floor.

For hours, they trekked through the underbrush, their senses heightened by the thrill of the hunt. They scanned the surroundings, alert for any sign of movement or sound that might betray the presence of their elusive Cryptid.

As the sun began its descent, casting a warm orange glow over the horizon, the group stumbled upon a clearing nestled deep within the forest. Tall trees encircled the area, their branches reaching towards the sky like outstretched arms. It seemed like the perfect spot to set up their base camp.

"Looks like we've found our spot," Darryl declared, surveying the clearing with a satisfied nod. "Let's get everything set up before it gets dark."

With practiced efficiency, the group unloaded their gear and began pitching tents, setting up cooking equipment, and organizing their supplies. Ellie and Bubba worked together to gather firewood, their footsteps crunching in the leaves.

As the camp took shape, Darryl gathered everyone around to assign their tasks for the evening.

"Alright, folks, here's the plan," he began, his voice authoritative yet friendly. "Ellie, you and Bubba take the north side of the clearing. Keep an eye out for any signs of movement or unusual activity. I'll take the south side, and we'll meet back here in an hour to regroup."

Ellie and bubba nodded in agreement, their expressions determined as they prepared to venture into the surrounding woods.

With flashlights in hand, they set off in opposite directions, disappearing into the gathering shadows.

Alone now, Darryl focused his attention on his assigned area, his senses on high alert as he moved through the dense foliage. Every rustle of leaves, every snap of twigs, sent a thrill of anticipation coursing through his veins.

As the minutes passed, Darryl patrolled the south side of the clearing, his eyes scanning the tree line for any sign of movement. He periodically checked in with Ellie and Bubba over the walkie-talkie, exchanging brief updates on their progress.

"Any luck on your end, Ellie?" Darryl's voice crackled through the static.

"Nothing yet, just a lot of rustling in the bushes," Ellie replied, her tone tinged with frustration.

Darryl nodded to himself, understanding the feeling all too well. "Keep at it, Ellie. We've got plenty of time."

Meanwhile, on the north side of the clearing, Bubba moved stealthily through the shadows, his senses attuned to every sound and sensation. As he reached a particularly dense thicket, he paused, a mischievous grin spreading across his rugged features.

With a twinkle in his eye, Bubba raised the walkie-talkie to his lips and whispered into the device, "Watch this, y'all."

Ignoring any protests from his companions, Bubba let out a series of guttural, primal calls that echoed through the forest. The sound reverberated off the trees, filling the air with an eerie sense of anticipation.