Chapter 12

"California," Jack said, staring down at the paper his brother handed him once they got into the house. For some reason, he thought the answer to the puzzle would be more than a couple of innocent looking words typed on a sheet of white paper. As it was, he wasn't surprised to find the answer lay thousands of miles across the country. That was just par for the course.

"That was quick," Angel said as he appeared at the top of the stairs. He disappeared for a minute and reappeared, tugging on a shirt as he made his way down the flight of steps.

Bobby flopped down on the couch next to Jack. "Yeah, cleaned out her desk, checked her files. Found what we needed."

"Cops on your tail?" Angel asked with a grin.

"Yeah, the S.W.A.T. team is outside right now. They're after Jackiepoo's Chia Pet."

Angel laughed. "His what?"

"Nothing." Jack rolled his eyes and propped his leg up on the coffee table.

"So what did you guys find?"

"Mommy Jack lives in sunny California. Her name is …" Bobby glanced over Jack's shoulder to read the sheet of paper he was holding, "Susan Vaughn. That's all we got."

"California's lookin' pretty good right about now," Angel said as he sat on the empty end of the coffee table. Hanging his head, he sighed heavily and Bobby laughed.

"Long day?" Jack asked.

"And getting longer," Angel grumbled. As if on cue, Sofi appeared at the top of the stairs.

"There you are," she said brightly. "You both disappeared this morning before I had a chance to talk to Jack."

Jack felt the hair on the back of his neck stand up at the mention of his name. She sounded cheerful - too cheerful - and a big smile was plastered across her face. Something was up and he felt apprehension wash over him.

She practically skipped down the stairs and bounced her way over to the couch, forcing her way into the meager cushion space between Jack and Bobby. Jack moved over to make room, while Bobby kept his elbow firmly planted in her side.

The mask she was wearing dropped for a second and her eyes grew cold as she glared over her shoulder at Bobby, who wasn't budging an inch. She scooted further into him and flipped her hair, smacking him in the face.

The smile was firmly back in place when she turned her attention back to Jack. He was trying not to laugh as Bobby made sputtering noises as he pulled strands of long black hair out of his mouth.

"Your bitch gave me a hairball, Angel."

Her eyes narrowed but she took a deep breath and forced an even bigger smile, if that was possible. Jack could see her gums and probably could count her cavities if he wanted to. She tilted her head and reached out, touching his arm. He tried to move further back in his seat without making it too obvious, but the floor was really the only available space left to escape to.

"Jack," she said softly, almost like she was purring. "I need a favor – muy pequeño, very small, I promise."

"Uh …" he started, not really sure what to say.

"I need help," she said and Bobby snorted a laugh.

She tossed her hair again, catching Bobby dead center in his face. "My sister, Isabella, is going to be my maid of honor, only she is in Puerto Rico and can't be here for the planning. And Angel isn't much help."

Jack shot a glance at Angel, who shrugged and muttered, "Sorry, man."

"And I figured that since you are Angel's best man …"