Ministry

Regulus raised his hands so he could tug the hood over his head tighter. Without hesitation, he headed to the broken phone booth and dialed M-A-G-I-C. The welcome which greeted him, asking his business.

For a moment, he paused, then, "Regulus Arcturus Black, and it's not really any of your business, but I'm here to save my brother Sirius."

Out popped a silver badge from the coin receiver with his name and purpose as the lift into the atrium dropped the machine, reminding him his wand would be examined, and he searched once he arrived at the atrium.

Regulus picked up the coin, frowning as he read the description. "Another rescue mission? I knew the system was bloody finicky because it's not actually manned and utilizes an A.I." He sighed. "Who am I kidding? I really am hacking the place as this is Muggle tech they'd used, and I just got past it. That was, I think, the easy part. The next part is getting past the security."

Except—

He arrived in complete chaos.

Employees of the ministry were there, preoccupied with the destruction of the atrium, the Fountain of Magical Brethren decimated, allowing him to teleport as Muggles said across the atrium unnoticed, yet as he did, his eyes closed.

"I'd forgotten how much magic is around here, from the people and place, even more so than Hogwarts." Regulus opened his eyes, looking out on the atrium, swallowing as a shiver ran down his spine, his finger quickly hitting a button as even in the chaotic swirling of magic, he managed to irk out the familiar sensations of two individuals. "What exactly did you get yourself into, Sirius?"

His hands reached up, tugging at the hood, his mouth pressing together, bile rising to his throat and he took a deep breath.

"The headmaster, Albus Dumbledore, was here, but so was Voldemort," Regulus thought, another shudder running down his spine as he glanced up at the atrium from which he descended. "It certainly explains the destruction, but right now, I need to focus on finding Sirius, of getting him out of whatever this veil is."

He arrived on level nine, the level right below the atrium, and with a wave of his wand, entered the Department of Mysteries, sighing.

"Honestly, for a magical hack, this honestly feels too easy. What with the security on the atrium level being so distracted? It's far more boring than I thought at sixteen or seventeen."

The Department of Mysteries—

Black was everything, from the walls to the doors to the floors, the place only lit by torches as the room spun. "Is this supposed to prevent me from knowing which door I came through?" Regulus shook his head. "I can see which one is with the magic, although." He raised a hand to his mouth. "I do have to admit the swirling of magics is plain nauseous."

Taking a deep breath, he closed his eyes, thinking.

"I'm trying to trace Sirius, and I know he was here. I know what his magic looks like, so if I can trace the door I just came through by following my magic, I can trace the door or doors he's gone through by tracing his magic, simply by focusing."

He opened his eyes, still swayed by the moving room yet focused on his brother's distinct magic, then headed to a door, opening it to find a huge archway with a black curtain. The curtain and archway showed age, yet he knew as Regulus stepped into the room. "This thing was created by ancient magic, although I don't know when or who created it. I guess for those who can't see ancient magic, this thing seems to lead to death."

He stepped over, hearing voices from the veil, taking a deep breath as he did so, shoving his hands into his jeans pocket.

"How, though? I mean..."

Regulus didn't finish asking aloud how Sirius went through the veil when someone said.

"Hey! What are you doing here?"

He turned his head, looking at a ministry official, possibly one of the Unspeakable from the Department of Mysteries. Taking a deep breath, Regulus stepped forward towards the veil.

"Stop! That only leads to death!" The person said, pulling their wand. "So come back..."

Regulus stepped into the veil, not hesitating.