Chapter 4

He walked me through the advanced features of the phone. I could choose a special ringtone for any SMS messages, and phone calls. This would allow me to know who was texting or calling me. Zal walked me through the app, and it had hundreds of downloaded songs. I could choose any of these and program the contact, plus the automated voice would tell me the name of the contact or text. He also showed me this program that would create an avatar and I could design it anyway I want. I could choose one of hundreds of voices, pitches, accents. With this program, instead of the automated voice telling me who is trying to reach me. it would be the avatar's voice.

The avatar would also display on the call screen. Or if I had a photo for the contact, that would be displayed. He told me that the newer models allowed a small image of the caller's image to appear as a holographic image. "Hey, I'm sorry I couldn't give you a phone like I have that is more advanced," Zal said. "Zal, you gave me a phone more advanced than the most advanced phone that most people can get on the market from any phone company in the country," I told him. "I get that. Usually, only members of the royal family, and I know that's something you're going to want to know about, get these phones, but still. I wanted to give you something nice," he said.

"This is more than nice enough. I don't want you to get you in trouble," I replied. "I won't. They were willing to let me give you this. My mother allowed it. The council wasn't thrilled, but I made a compelling case," he said smiling. "What did you tell them?" I asked, curious. "I'll tell you that someday," he promised. He went into discussing his family ties to the town and why he was called 'prince.' Technically, Zal isn't royalty by this nation's standards. He and his family were from a small country that's not on the map. No one has actually heard of it. The country is called Rene. Zal stopped explaining and looked at me curiously.

"What are you thinking about?" Zal asked. "I'm just thinking about what kind of country you're from is like. Are you still part of their council or ruling practices?" I asked. He shrugged. "I do have a vote in the politics. My mother is the main one who makes the vote. My vote only counts during the winter and summer solstice. Any other time when we come together, I'm not asked. I am still part of the royal family, hence why they call me prince. At this current point in time, I don't have a direct claim to the throne. I...Well, it's a bit embarrassing. We have to find a partner, a mate and marry," he explained.

"Well, that makes sense," I stated. Zal looked surprised by that response. "It's common in royal families. They want the one that's to claim the throne to be married so that they could reproduce and have heirs," I commented. "Yes, well. It's not that simple. Sometimes, our hearts are drawn to someone that doesn't make children an easy option," Zal explained. I gave him a quizzical look. "Well, can two women and men reproduce?" Zal questioned. "No, of course not," I answered. He gave me a soft smile. "Well, it's nice to think that even peasants can be friends with royalty," I said with a grin.

"Well, not all royalty is snobby and stuck up," he commented. "No, I didn't mean it that way. I guess there's not a right way to mean what I said." He waved off my comment. "No, it's a fair reply. So, now you know a little bit of my story. My history," he said. "I wish my family or history, I'm afraid to say isn't very exciting or interesting," I told him. "I wouldn't say that. I think there might be more to it than you realize. You just don't know enough. I mean, there's always a chance, right?" he asked. "I guess. I just don't want excitement or to be known," I admitted. "Well, I think that is a mute desire," he remarked. I sighed. He was right, and it made me uncomfortable.

"Now, to what I wanted to ask you. I won't be in school for the week before and I won't be in town during break," he began. I tried to smile and nod. I wanted to be happy for him. "Okay, hey. I'll be okay walking," I told him. He continued to give me a weird smile. "Well, that's the thing. My entire family is hosting a party, and we are all allowed to invite one person to join us. I was wondering if you'd like to join me," he said. I froze. My breath caught and my heart felt like it was about to explode in my chest. "M-me?" I stammered, my voice squeaking. "Yeah, why is that so hard to believe?" he asked. "After the past couple days, it's not that," I stammered.