Chapter 10: The King of Alnus

While Itami and Pina flew back to their castle, Jean and Frederick flew toward Alnus Hill while Silver and Drache howled in delight. A broad smile escaped Jean when he looked down at the caravan below. A squadron of knights and a squad of Polonian men-at-arms escorted dozens of newly arrived settlers from the Special Region.

"Merci, Father, and you, Saint Petronas." Jean held a Christogram and savored the sense of euphoria flooding his body upon seeing so many people safe and sound thanks to their intervention. "I'd say your new subjects will have a high impression of their new King. Mon ami."

"Jean, enough of that. I'm not a king yet." Frederick muttered.

"In the eyes of your father and the Papst you are. That's what matters most." Drache said and nuzzled his rider.

"Why not just have yourself crowned now?" Jean asked.

"Because, like it or not, the Empire is still the dominant power here, and I would rather work with them. Once their ambassador finally arrives, we can begin negotiations, especially with these increased orc raids. Only after Emperor Zorzal recognizes me as a King will I crown myself."

"Oui, you're humble enough to be a good King, mon ami." Jean chuckled, and Frederick groaned but smiled back at his friend.

A week earlier, word arrived from back home that Kaiser Joseph and the Papst granted Frederick the right to build an Aciemes Kingdom in the Special Region and spread the Faith. Jean lost himself to the thoughts of everything Frederick could do as a King here. The churches he could raise, the people he could uplift, proper medicine, and laws.

"It looks like Tuka's been busy." Drache said.

The black dragon gestured down near one of the new villages. It was not just Aciemes influence that reigned there, for several small groves of exceptionally tall trees sporting a few treehouses with high elves and humans moving about them.

"Oui." Jean said.

His smile grew tender with a warm sensation that filled his entire being. The knight clutched his Christogram again and said a prayer in his head. "Saint Circe, merci. Please keep interceding for Tuka until she is fully healed. You are her guardian saint, great healer. Father, s'il vous plaît, heal your child and help me bring her out of her darkness."

Jean performed a holy sign and took in the beautiful trees again. His heart soared upon seeing a newly raised church built atop one with Christogram-wearing elves coming in and out of it. It might start at Alnus, but their new Kingdom would mix the best of their world with the best of this one and create something even greater for them all. Jean sat tall in Silver's saddle and beamed. He, from the most chivalric of all the Aciemes Kingdoms, while at his King's side, would ensure the true ideals of chivalry grew strong here.

As they approached Alnus Hill itself, Jean and Frederick took in the vast fortress that sprung up over where their camp once lay. The Riech Empire's banners flew over a series of turrets and battlements, with a series of smaller stone and wooden buildings within the complex and a grand castle in the center. As they descended upon the fortress, soldiers along the gate towers bowed before Frederick. More soldiers, knights, and fortress residents assembled for his arrival at the entrance.

Jean fixed his eyes on a great garden of flowers, trees, and other plants that almost glowed in the morning sun. With Silver's eyes, he saw through the lush foliage and saw the gardeners. Two nuns and a chaplain mixed their gleaming water with the magic of a few high-elf men and women. Within moments, more gleaming flowers sprouted from the ground. However, despite this beauty, Jean kept searching for the head gardener.