TEN

A gentle morning light filtered through the curtains of Anya's hotel room, rousing her from a restless sleep. The unfamiliar time zone and the whirlwind of the previous night had left her feeling slightly disoriented. Still, a sense of excitement bubbled beneath the surface. Ahmedabad, a new city to explore, and the unexpected chance to witness cricket matches live - it was an adventure she hadn't planned on, but one she was determined to embrace.

A sharp knock on the door startled her out of her thoughts. "Oh hey, Shubman," she greeted, a smile spreading across her face as she opened the door. "Good morning."

Shubman, looking surprisingly fresh-faced for someone who'd been woken up at 3 am, grinned back at her. "Hey, I was wondering if you wanted to have breakfast with the team? You are practically our guest of honor after all."

Anya blinked, surprised by the invitation. "Oh, how generous of you," she replied, a touch of hesitation creeping into her voice. "But I wouldn't want to be a bother. I'm sure the hotel has a perfectly lovely buffet..."

Shubman chuckled, his amusement evident. "Oh, trust me, the team buffet is anything but ordinary," he teased. "Plus, it comes with a few extra brownie points in terms of team bonding."

Anya raised an eyebrow, intrigued. "Brownie points, huh? Now you've piqued my curiosity."

Seeing her interest sparked, Shubman pressed his advantage. "Exactly! Besides, it's a chance to meet everyone. Come on, say yes. It'll be fun."

Anya hesitated for a moment longer, then a playful smile lit up her face. "Well, if it means brownie points..." she trailed off, a playful glint in her eyes. "Alright, you win. Let me just grab my shoes. Why don't you come in?"

Shubman stepped inside the room.

As Anya disappeared into the bathroom, he couldn't help but notice a pair of brightly colored pajamas peeking out from behind the door. A chuckle escaped his lips.

Anya emerged a moment later, sporting a pair of stylish loafers that contrasted sharply with her sleepwear. "Hey," she asked sheepishly, "do you think they'd judge me for wearing pajamas downstairs?"

Shubman's chuckle grew into a full-blown laugh. "Judge you? Anya, trust me, half the team will probably be in pajamas themselves. We're all creatures of habit, especially when it comes to pre-game routines."

Anya's shoulders relaxed in relief. "Great, then let's go embarrass ourselves together," she declared with a mock grimace.

Anya's playful demeanor and easygoing nature put Shubman at ease. The prospect of introducing her to the team, a group known for their friendly camaraderie, no longer seemed daunting.

As they stepped out of the hotel room, a playful glint sparked in Shubman's eyes. "Alright, Anya, just a heads-up," he began cautiously. "There might be a bit of commotion downstairs. You see, I haven't exactly brought a woman, or a WAG as they call it, to the team breakfast before."

Anya raised an eyebrow, a playful smile tugging at her lips. "Ah, but Shubman," she countered, her voice laced with a hint of amusement, "let me remind you, I'm not your girlfriend."

Shubman chuckled, the tension dissipating under her teasing tone. "Right, right, of course you're not," he acknowledged, scratching the back of his neck sheepishly. "But here's the thing, my teammates are basically a bunch of fifteen-year-olds trapped in grown men's bodies. The slightest excuse to wolf whistle and tease is all it takes to send them into a frenzy."

Anya's smile widened. "WAG, huh? Never quite achieved that coveted status," she joked, her arm brushing playfully against his as they walked down the hallway.

A burst of laughter erupted from her, the sound echoing through the quiet corridor. Shubman joined in, the sound washing away any lingering anxieties. In that shared moment of lightheartedness, a silent understanding bloomed between them. Anya wasn't just a guest or a support system; she was a friend, a confidante, and someone who could make him laugh even in the face of potential chaos.

Reaching the end of the hallway, Shubman placed a restraining hand on Anya's shoulder, a playful glint in his eyes. "Okay, that's enough teasing for now," he mock-threatened, his voice barely a whisper. "We don't want to give them any more ammunition before we even get down there."

Anya winked conspiratorially. "Alright, alright, truce declared," she conceded, a mischievous glint mirroring his own. "Let's just see how these 'grown men' handle the presence of a mysterious woman in their midst."