Our Essence

We always complain about our faces and bodies.

Remember how you'd look in the mirror and grab or cover the things that didn't satisfy your definition of beautiful.

Whether you're a boy, girl, or person in-between, you'd stare at the mirror and not recognize the person staring back because you could only notice every flaw, every pore that wasn't to your liking.

Remember where it comes from.

Remember that one day when your mother leaves this life forever, the nose you complained about and the dryness or oils of your skin will forever remind you of her.

That when you cry over the freckles scattered across your face, others cry because they see someone in you that you didn't.

They see your mother.

Your dad can't help but cry when you wear green because your complexion matches that of your mother's down to the beauty mark on your neck.

Remember that when you wish for prettier eyes, or fuller lips.

Your mother can't look at the color or shape of your almond eyes because they remind her of whom she once loved.

Your grandmother says she sees her father in the way you laugh and bare your teeth as dimples form and the way the corner of your eyes scrunches.

Don't look at yourself and see something to be changed.

When your family is gone, others will look at what you find ugly and see the person they once knew.

Maybe you'll still find them unflattering, just promise to remember your essence.