𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏

Resting her back on a tree dunk with a koi pond in front of her the sounds of the water and nature was soothing

      Resting her back on a tree dunk with a koi pond in front of her the sounds of the water and nature was soothing. Mai just got done with hours of training with former fire lord zuko , she was exhausted and beaten due to doing one on one rounds with zuko

"Mai!" Iroh called out for her and Mai looked to her right seeing her friend running to her . "Hey iroh" Mai said while Iroh sat next to her they became close since she was living with them for the time being ."

"Are you okay? You look tired" Iroh asked in concern for his friend since he knew his grandfather wasn't an easy one to beat . "I'm fine , just drained from training" Mai said with a reassuring smile so Iroh would believe her not thinking she's lying."

He nodded and leaned his head on Mais shoulder , he looked for her to sleep on her which confused Mai but didn't mind since she had a slight crush on Iroh but knows she isn't his type ...

"Stupid butterflies"

Mai mentally screaming at herself but snapped out of it when she heard distance footsteps behind her , she turned her head seeing Fire Lord Izumi looking at them she was smiling Mai bowed her head  and smiled at her , she didn't stand up due to a sleepy Iroh on her .

Fire Lord Izumi walked up to Mai looked down on her , "Seems he grew fond to you , you know Mai your his first friend he ever made like a true genuine friend" Izumi said smiling at the scene of her first born son and her student ...

"I'm glad she didn't become like Azula..."

Izumi left the two alone and went inside , Mai looked down at Iroh who was used to be on her shoulder now on her lap so he wouldn't wake up with a stiff neck . She kissed his forehead lightly not to wake him up having a slight smile on her face ...

Over course of time training Zuko told Mai why she was chosen by them ...

FLASHBACK

"Mai , you have proven yourself trustworthy now i will tell you why you were chosen" Zuko said while Mai sat down to listen carefully ."

"Your fire bending is like my late sister Azula , both of you have blue fire bending when your previous master found out he called me and fire lord Izumi ." Mai was wondering who Azula was ..."

"We took you in because we didn't want you to go down the same path as my sister . Hungry for power and honor that was her drive and source , i want you to know that you are nothing like her ."

Mai was stunned but glad that she wasn't nothing like her , was that the only reason they took her in ... so she won't end up like Azula

"Listen , I know it sounds wrong but your fire bending is more destructive than regular fire bending soon you'll learn lightning and the traditional dragon dance" Zuko said he looked at Mai dead in the eyes wondering what she's thinking ."

"I understand , but I want to know more about Azula if that's okay" Mai said hesitantly but Zuko nodded and told Mai everything about Azula since the beginning..."

END OF FLASHBACK

Mai was in her own world now thinking about Azula and what she did , she felt some sympathy for her since Azula did everything to be up to her fathers expectations just like what Mai is doing right now ...

She wondered, what was Azula side of the story because she only heard from Zuko and other towns people talk about her in such a hatred way .

Mai woke Iroh up since it was getting dark . "Iroh , wake up the sun is setting" Mai said tapping the boy on her lap , he woke up rubbing his eyes . "Oh... wait how long have I've been sleeping?!" He said sitting up from Mais lap looking at her ."

"Only 2 hours , but it's time to head inside it's almost dinner and I want to get ready for bed" Mai said while Iroh nodded and helped Mai up , she almost fell over due to the lack of blood from her legs ."

"Are you okay?" Iroh asked Mai looked at him and nodded in response soon regaining balance . The two walked inside and parted ways walking to her room she stayed in for 7 months already and closing the door behind her ."

Getting ready for bed she sat down in front of a mirror and did her daily night routine . Mai got up and sat on her bed looking at the moon , she read about the moon spirits and how water benders bending were drawn to the moon .

Mai was thinking about Iroh she felt happy but sad in a way , she knew both of them were from two different worlds but they were under the same sun , moon , clouds and stars even though they would never click due to their differences...

"I never knew somebody like you , somebody..."