Chapter 9: Tug of War

Start from the beginning

"Fufu, I can recognise that bald head from a mile away." Sakayanagi's laughter echoed through the room.

"Baldie is lucky he doesn't have any bounty on him. That shiny top is like a walking SOS."

"Hey don't insult Katsuragi-kun. He's lucky he doesn't have to invest in hair skin products," Hashimoto defended Katsuragi, fluffing his hair with his fingers, "Maintaining this bad boy is a lot of time and work, y'know."

Kamuro scoffed, "Talk is cheap. Shave that shitty head of yours if you mean what you say."

Hashimoto inched away from the purple-haired girl in fear, "Huh?! And lose my immaculate rizz game? No way!" he protested.

A look of disgust appeared on the girl's face, "Who would be stupid enough to fall for a guy like you?!"

"Why did I get allotted to a class full of weirdos?" Meanwhile, Katsuragi sighed in exasperation, as he surveyed his class. Sakayanagi was cackling while swinging her cane wildly. Kamuro was throwing popcorn in Hashimoto's direction and the latter was trying to get as many in his mouth to the former's dismay. Kitou and his friends were busy, playing Monopoly at the round table, arguing intensely in their own world.

"How the heck did those people get to Class A?" Kei asked, looking stumped. 

I wanted to capitalise on this stroke of good luck no matter what.

"Mind if we make a detour, Nanase?"

Although several solid Tasks had popped up in the nearby area, we'd probably have to give up on them.

"I'm just your travelling companion, Ayanokōji-senpai. Please don't feel the need to ask for my opinion."

I took her thoughtful words at face value and decided to approach the student. They hadn't seemed to have noticed us yet, but I chose not to call out to them so as to not interrupt their fishing.

Instead, we approached quietly, walking along the sandy gravel of the riverside. Before long, we drew in close enough for them to notice our presence, as they slowly turned to face us.

"You started off on your own, but it doesn't seem like you've dropped to the bottom ten yet." With these words, we were greeted by Katsuragi of Class 2-B, who openly welcomed us.

"Somehow. But if I took it easy for a day, my rank would probably plummet."

Having overheard the commotion, Ryūen emerged from inside his tent and gave me a somewhat surprised look.

"Katsuragi and Ryuen?"

"It seems like Katsuragi Kouhei swings that way. That is an interesting development." Morishita Ai commented with a raised eyebrow.

"A surprise, to be sure, but a welcome one," Ishizaki said, appearing pleased.

"Wait, wait! That wording?! What do ya mean Class 2B? No way we dipped in just one episode. What the fuck?" Machida's voice rose in pitch, his hands gesturing chaotically in disbelief. It seemed like he was hyperventilating.

The others, who were oblivious, latched onto Machida's sentiments.

"Did Sakayanagi-san lose?!" "No way!" "Probably a typo from Intern-kun."

"I blame those bastards from the government! Wasting time showing Ayanokouji being dungcrap in anime instead of showing important things, like my Class A!" A student barked.

Ryuen was seen smirking, seeming very pleased, 'Heh, all according to plan.'

The man in question, Katsuragi Kouhei, seemed rather flummoxed, 'There is simply no way for Class A to lose the huge advantage they had in a matter of weeks.' A stray thought of him transferring classes emerged into his head considering the friction he had with Sakayanagi, but he banished it considering his lack of points.