Chapter 8

Clare stepped into the Midnight Cafe, coffee scents ringing up her nose. At the register stood Dominic, who was playing games on his phone out of boredom.

"Clare!" He said, perking up. "Early to see you here."

"Yeah, I really don't want to work that shift in the evening." Clare rubbed her neck just thinking about having to do more work than she already did.

"You work here?" Felix said, "I didn't know that."

Clare laughed. "I've been here for a year now. It's really fun. Oo! You should work here too. Make some extra money." We could have shifts together too. Clare shut those thoughts out.

"I'll keep it in mind." He said smiling at her, "Make some extra bang for my buck. Ah... that doesn't make sense."

"So who are you?" Dominic asked, "You don't look like the Carlos guy."

"Nuh-uh," Clare said out of disgust. Carlos was out of her life. "This is Felix. He just moved from Canada recently. And, we don't talk about Carlos."

"Who's that?" Felix asked, never having heard of Carlos.

"A bitch," Clare answered almost instantaneously, "Zinnia was trying to get me with him last weekend but he turned out to be a disrespectful bitch."

"Aw, shoot!" Dominic said, upset that Carlos wasn't as nice as he looked. "I guess my love telling skills weren't on point with that one."

"So, you liked Carlos?" Felix asked. His eyes looked almost worried, maybe even jealous.

"Well last weekend was the only time I really talked to him so not really. He's only good looking and that's all."

Out of the corner of her eye, Clare could see Dominic smirking at them. "So what can I get the two of you?"

"Mm," Clare looked at the menu, "I'll get a strawberry-banana smoothie. I usually have those for breakfast anyway." Clare turned to Felix. "Go ahead and order. I have a worker discount."

Felix stared into her eyes, like he was admiring her beauty. "...R-right. I'll just get a chocolate croissant and a strawberry-banana smoothie then."

"Sounds good. I'll get that ready for you both and it'll be $9.67 after." With a grin, Dominic stepped into the back room to whip up their smoothies.

"Here, let's go sit in the corner," Clare said, "It's my favorite spot for studying too, right in the sunlight."

"This is pretty perfect," Felix said, sliding onto a chair opposite of Clare around a circle table.

Clare thought up a question that had been lingering in her head for a while. "Are you always like that with your sisters? Arguing and picking on each other?"

"Well you know how it is, don't you? Do you have siblings?"

Clare shook her head. "I'm an only child. Makes it a lot harder with my parents."

"Dang it. Some reason I thought you had siblings. You don't seem like the type of person to be an only child..." He leaned back on his chair, "Well, no. I'm not always like that with my sisters. We usually get along. I think I was just pissed this morning because my mom insulted your looks. And come on! You're so pretty. As pretty as the sun."

Clare laughed, lowering her head so he couldn't see her big smile. His comparison didn't really make sense, but that's what made it funny. "I'm just that hot, huh?"

"My eyes are burning."

"Alright you two, break it up." Dominic placed two strawberry-banana smoothies on the table, along with a beautifully plated croissant drizzled in glossy chocolate. "Pay up front when you're done."