- EIGHTEEN, the first thing i see.

A/N: I'm sick with pretty much no motivation to write but I'm still trying! So warning, this chapter is not edited yet and may have some spelling errors!

"You know you don't have to be here right?" My mother questioned as she poured herself a cup of coffee behind the counter of the cafe.
"Well Karen needs to be with him and someone needs to be here so." I shrugged as I wiped down the counter top. "But it doesn't have to be you. Maybe we can call Deb-" she started to suggest, making my neck snapped towards her. "No." I quickly shook my head, shooting down the idea.

Taking care of the cafe was the least I could do for Karen right now. "I'll go visit him once we close." I continued, making her slowly nod.
"Okay... I'll be at the hospital with them, call me if you need anything." I nodded as she pulled me in for a quick hug. We both called out our 'I love you's' as she left again.

It wasn't a minute after when the bell above the door rang again, making me turn towards the customer with my fake smile on. "Oh, it's you." My smile disappeared as Nathan approached me and I went back to wiping down the countertop.
"Still mad huh?" He sat down at Keith's usual spot but I didn't bother to give him a reply.
Oh shit I was still mad. "How's Lucas doing?"

A loud scoff left my mouth as I looked back up at him. "Why? What are you growing bored of not using me to piss him off?" I snapped as I threw the dirty rag at him, making his face fall.
"I didn't mean it like that, Whitney." He sighed as he tried to reach out for my hand but I quickly pulled it back. "I'm pretty sure there isn't any other way to mean it, Nathan."

"Okay, yes, kind of at first I was doing it to piss him off but that's before we actually started to hang out." He explained but I still gave him an unconvinced look. "If I was just doing this to get to him I wouldn't have told you I loved you. 'Cause I wasn't lying when I said that." He sounded like he was being honest but I didn't know what to believe anymore.

"Theres just too much going on right now." I sighed as I placed my face in my hands.
"What does that mean?" His voice sounded hurt.
"I don't know, Nathan. My best friend is in a coma, I have to run this cafe for god knows how long and Karen and Keith may never be friends again and it's just all too much." I ranted as I ran a hand through my hair. "What does that mean for us?" He frowned as I shrugged my shoulders.

"Well do you want to break up or not?" His voice was filled with both anger and sadness which only hurt me even more. "I don't know, Nathan." My words barely came out over a whisper as he abruptly pushed his chair back and stood up.
"Yeah, well let me know when you figure it out." He didn't give me a chance to respond before he stormed out. Now he was the upset one.
I took a deep breath and pushed away the pain in my chest, trying not to break down.

____________

I gripped the straps to my backpack as I walked down the hospital hallway, I knew Karen would be spending the night here once again so I brought her some fresh clothes and some food, along with what I'd need to stay the night and keep her company.

My feet stopped mid-step as I turned to walk into Lucas' room, to my surprise Nathan was sitting at his bed side... talking about me. I moved to the side a little outside of the door, enough to hear what he had to say without him seeing me.

"I really messed up things with Whitney... just like you thought I would. I know you didn't want me to be with her but I really didn't mean to hurt her." It was quiet for a minute but I still didn't bother to move. "You know, I love her. Shes the first girl I could ever say that about. I feel like she's the only one that really understood me but I still screwed it up." He continued, making a small smile form on my lips.

"He's in a coma and you're making him your relationship therapist?" I teased as I finally stepped in the room, making sure not to be too loud to wake Karen up. Nathan quickly turned to me, giving me a sad smile. "I'll go." He quietly mumbled as he started to stand up but I gently pushed him back down. "Stay." I shook my head before placing my self down onto his lap, wrapping my arms around his shoulders.

"I'm sorry." He mumbled into my neck.
"I forgive you." I smiled widely as he pulled apart, completely surprised. "No relationship is perfect, Nathan. The important thing is we get through it." I placed a quick kiss on his lips, pulling apart when I heard a groan. My breath caught in my throat as I locked eyes with Lucas.
Opened eyes.

"Oh my god." I quickly jumped off of Nathan's lap, grabbing ahold of his hand. "Water." It was barely audible but I understood it. Nathan was quick to grab the small cup of water, handing it to him. "Not the first thing I wanted to see." Lucas mumbled, making my smile widen.
"I missed you, asshole. I'm sorry." I mumbled as I crawled into the hospital bed next to him, gently hugging into him.

Seconds later Karen was on the other side of us, smoothing back his hair. "I'm glad you're back mom." Lucas faintly spoke. "You too." Karen smiled. "Now I can kill you for that tattoo." She continued on, making my eyes slightly widened.
I faked a cough as I removed myself from Lucas' bed. "Whitney Williams, you stay right there." Karen pointed at me in a jokingly serious tone.

"Hey, that was not my fault." I shot my hands up in defence as she slightly chuckled, shaking her head. "What am I going to do with you two?" My eyes glanced from Karen to Nathan who stood back in the corner. "I'll give you guys your privacy. See you tomorrow." I quickly kissed the both of their heads before walking up to Nathan, taking a hold of his hand.

"Hey, Nathan..." Lucas's raspy voice made us stop, quickly turning back to look at him.
"She's my best friend so, don't hurt her again, okay?" Lucas and I shared a small smile as Nathan nodded his head up and down while putting his arm around my shoulder, pulling me close.

Once we reached the hallway I pulled out my phone, sending a text to my parents and Keith to let them all know he was awake and okay.