Chapter 13: The Backstreets

She ran and ran as fast as he legs could carry her. Eventually, she found herself travelling further down the mountain and to the lower levels, where the backstreets of rageon society were located. The level Orchid performed was a cliff level beneath the higher end shopping centres of the city. And now she had wondered into the worst of it. The only neon lights that shone were those signs that belonged to old run down buildings that looked as if they had been there since the beginning of the stone age. No tall crystalline towers that touched the clouds and no sign of any sort of rocket red spaghetti junctions. Velvet started to take notice of her change of surroundings and wondered if she had gone back in time. She recieved a few leary looks from the few rageons that resided there and so she hid round a corner, her knees buckled just in time as she stopped in the doorway of what she assumed was an abandoned building.

She slipped down, hugging her knees and burying her face in her lap as she caught her breath. Trying to stop the ringing in her ears and the tears that were rolling down her face. They didn't stop no matter how much she tried. She didn't want anyone to see her like this. She didn't want anyone to know just how powerless and talentless she really was. But at every waking moment, her mistakes were being shoved back in her face like a mirror. She hated the reflection.

Velvet considered what had just happened as a sort of cruel karma. As the last street performer she had spoken to was Floyd. It was almost three years ago now. She would make pitstops on the street to greet the little troll just trying to get by as his solo career wasn't working the way he had hoped. And as time went by, she got a little too curious about the troll's history. Then, in turn, connecting with that Chef character who convinced her to collaborate in his capture and exposure. She was a foolish 16 year old then. Who took the easy way out of achieving her ultimate goal. Her parents were out of the picture. It was just her and her brother against the rest of the fame chasing world.

She was 19 now. Surely she was supposed to have learnt from her experience? From her mistakes? Instead, there she was, tied up tight by her limbs on a filthy front door step. Prison didn't at all toughen her up, but rather, it made her realise just how much she relied on her confidence as a mask. While she was inside, time froze.

She lifted her head up hesitantly and looked into a mucky glass pane that had come loose from the protruding window next to the entrance. Her makeup had melted down her face, and her eyes were red from her wailing. She pulled at the scarf still atop of her head, which then turned into a hard yank when it didn't come off immediately. She groaned and started to wipe her face with her hands.

"Come on, Velvet. Princesses don't cry." She told herself as she reached into her purse for her compact. She did her best to hide the damage that had been done. There was no intention to tell anyone about what had happened. Especially Veneer.
"They have servants to cry for them." She sighed as she powdered her nose and blushed her cheeks the best she could with the terribly dark lighting. Then, someone stood in her spotlight.

"Hey Princess, you look like you could use a pick me up." A raspy voice interrupted. In front of her stood a rather shabby looking, orange haired rageon. He sported a black leather jacket and a matching backwards cap, of which his hair poked through the clip at the front. He must have been a few years older than herself, in his 20s, ewww. He smelt like Ritz's apartment. But somehow, more rancid. Velvet quickly got to her feet and positioned herself as if ready to attack.

"Who the fuck are you calling 'princess', freak!?" She snarled at him, looking down at his unbothered face. The nickname sounded dirty coming from his mouth.

"Aw come on, that's not nice now is it? Besides i thought that's what you just called yourself?" He cockily tilted his head, he had his hands tucked away in his jacket pockets. He backed up as he saw she was getting agitated.
"Relax, I know that's not your name. I'm just messing with you, Velvet. I'm a friend, I promise. I'm in big with Kid Ritz. Real close. I was told you guys were having a party tonight." Velvet's shoulders relaxed as he seemed to be telling the truth. Ritz hadn't mentioned him before, but then again she may not have even been paying attention if he did.