𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍

Depuis le début

John and Robert will be with me, shut up.

They'll kill him, though.

Shut the fuck up!

Robert kept the volume on the radio at a modest level, not just for the sake of his and John's conversation but also to ensure the soft melodies wouldn't drown out the presence of Elena in the backseat. After all, why listen to anything other than the enchanting silence that accompanied the ethereal being occupying his car?

She remained mostly quiet, a certain grace that seemed to fill the space without uttering a word. Robert had offered her a warm smile when she settled into the back, momentarily struck dumb by her beauty. However, her reluctance to engage in any conversation herself only seemed to amplify the allure. She simply existed, and that was enough to captivate Robert.

Throughout the journey, Elena shifted in her seat, eventually resting her head against the back of the passenger seat, perched on the edge of her own. It was a subtle attempt to distance herself from the situation, a silent protest against the inevitable. The guilt of her reluctance weighed heavily on her, like an unspoken burden she was bearing on the two men in the front.

"El?"

"Hm?" Her response was a soft murmur, her eyes flickering towards John.

"Did you hear what I said?" he asked, turning partially in his seat to look back at her. She simply shook her head, mumbling an apology. "I asked if The George Inn was okay?"

Despite her familiarity with the area, the mention of The George Inn seemed foreign to her. She stared blankly for a moment before nodding slowly.

"We can go somewhere else if you'd prefer, luv," Robert interjected, stealing a glance over his shoulder. The inability to fully look at her was a form of torture.

"No, it's... it's okay. The George is fine," Elena replied, her voice barely above a whisper. She lifted her gaze to meet Robert's finding a fleeting moment of respite before he returned his focus to the road, his eyes occasionally flickering to the rear-view mirror.

John couldn't shake the feeling that The George Inn might not be the ideal choice, but he trusted Elena's judgement. With a reassuring smile, he turned back to face the front, allowing the silence to settle once more, with the exception of an Elvis tune gracing the atmosphere.

Robert navigated the streets with ease, his familiarity with the city evident in the way he effortlessly manoeuvred through traffic. Birmingham was a city of transition, with the decline of traditional industries giving way to new opportunities—something Elena had also unfortunately missed out on.

As they approached The George Inn, the streets became quieter, the buzz of the city fading into the background. The pub itself was a charming sight, its brick exterior adorned with hanging flower baskets. A sign creaked in the wind, proudly declaring the establishment's long history.

Robert pulled into the pub's car park, the gravel crunching beneath the tires as they came to a stop. The scent of freshly-cut grass mingled with the faint aroma of ale, wafting from an open window.

"Aaand... We're 'ere," Robert announced, turning off the engine. He glanced back at Elena, a faint smile playing on his lips. "Ready for a pint, me."

Elena returned the smile to the best of her ability, glad that she was able to exit the car to take a moment to breathe in the crisp air.

"Ya not the only one, mate," John quipped, stretching out his arms with an exaggerated groan. Robert came around the car, fingers tucked into the pockets of his jeans as he joined John and Elena towards the welcoming glow of The George Inn. The sounds of lively chatter and clinking glasses were muffled, but inviting.