Star Child

For Noah- happy birthday, lovely.

Long ago, in the land of starlight and dreaming, there danced two lights. In this age there were no planets, no stars, no explorers- no life. All there was in the vastness of the cosmos was the ever-long dance of the two lights. Like two rippling and roaring flames they were, tiptoeing and swirling back and forth one towards the other, yet never joining. This dance was all there was for eons, an electric push and pull from the only life in the cold emptiness of space.

Then, one day, the lights changed. Their flames became wild and unpredictable, as if unstable and hungry; hungry for one another. Their dance became erratic and passionate as they swirled closer and closer, almost close enough to touch. The space between them began diminishing and bridging as they allowed themselves to finally embrace and reach out to hold the other. Then, they were one. They glowed brightly for an infinite second but all too quickly became still. Dim. Then, they were gone.

The cosmos was dark and lonely and void once again. Until a small spark began flickering from the space the two lights had danced. The twinkle began pulsating and growing and changing, as if fighting its way into existence. It was then that a blinding force erupted which would forever change the inkiness of space. A light brighter than any light could ever be exploded from somewhere within the tiny pulsating twinkle in the darkness in a silent and peaceful roaring ripple, which covered every part of the changing landscape of the universe.

The twinkle, which resembled a minuscule ember, began spinning and leaping to and fro, as if dancing to music it knew all too well, but had in fact yet to be. It slowed its waltz and contemplated its parents' nascent realm, curiosity rising within it like bubbles to the surface of the ocean. Almost as if bidding the skies farewell, the ember glowed brilliantly one last time before commencing its journey of discovery through the newly emerging world.

Over time, the small ember bourgeoned into a small star, which weaved through the newly formed planets, pulsars, and black holes, with a sense of earnest and keen determination. Upon reaching the outer orbit of a small green and blue planet, the star began moving towards the surface of the cosmic creation as if ordered to do so by a force greater than any before. The young star fell and fell for time untold, changing its form each second of the descent.

One day, the star reached the surface of the planet in a great burst of light and heat and energy. Land parted, erupted, joined, climbed upwards, and fell after the impact. The ground shook and changed, then settled and was quiet, as if waiting for the final act to begin.

The form that emerged from the ground was that of a young boy with glowing golden skin and eyes like dancing flames. The Star Child had finally come home.