Prologue: The Promise

A ten year old boy is happily reading a GO magazine and some record of pro games. His name Hikaru Shindou, a very nice, and respetcful child, who tend to act mature from his age. Mainly because he always talking to his grandfather Heihachi Shindou who introduces him to the game he fall in love and talking a thousand year old spirit who he can only see, hear and touch and also loves to play GO.

As long as he remember, Hikaru have been inside of his white room surrounded by Medical equipment attached to him. The smell of medicine and blood are become usual to him and the concept of death is become normal to him.

He know that he himself will face the dark void sooner or later.

Throughout the years, his life. His only companion is the game and the spirit who comes with the Goban. His name Fujiwara no Sai. A spirit hail from the Heian Era as the GO tutor of the emperor who died by drowning himself from misery and sadnest of taking the only thing he knows of what he is best in his life.

He was cast out by the Emperor of cheating alligation he never did. It was orchestrated by his rival in the palace as a Tutor and put the blame to Sai as he the one who did the horrible action.

"16-7" Sai said as he point his fan to the Goban and Hikaru putting the black stone to it. Now Hikaru's turn, he carefully look at the board for a couple of minutes and finally giving a deep sigh. "I resign" He said.

"Thank you for the game" The two said bowing to each other.

"You certainly improved Hikaru! I'm so proud of you!" Sai said enthusiastically hugging the boy.

"You think so...but its not enough to beat you. Dang just one game. I haven't beat you for 5 years Sai" Hikaru said smiling looking at board and looking at Sai after.

"Hehe" Sai said opening his fan covering his face/mouth. "Don't worry, keep practicing, and I'm more than happy to keep teaching you" Sai said smiling.

The smile on Hikaru falters "but I don't think I'll have the time Sai" Sai immediately interject him. "Don't say that, you certainly have a lot of years to live in" Hikaru smile at Sai. "I know myself Sai... I'm sorry" "what!!? you don't need to say sorry, it's not your fault"

"No I'm sorry because you got stack to someone like me, I couldn't fathom the agony and loneliness you need to bear waiting in that Goban(Go board) for someone to be able to see your trace and play the game you like. And I couldn't even give you a real battle. If only I'm not like this, you and I are now maybe famous, we got to battle a lot of strong opponent and have a chance to be at the top of GO scene and the chance of us, you achieving the divine move.

"Please don't say that. I love and enjoyed every game I played with you. That's the truth"

Hikaru smile at him.

~•~

Another morning...

*tut *tut *tut *tut *tut

The boy's eyes open slightly , seeing the blinding light and different people around him. The noisy cluttering and voices he hear. His eyes moves to his right seeing his friend's spirit.

'Sai...' He thought that Sai definitely can hear.

"Hikaru... Thank Kami, just fight on! " Sai said in mixed of desperation and sadness.

Hikaru smile and close his eyes...

For the last time....

~•~

Sai found himself to this peaceful place. He look around. His eyes widen to see Hikaru not far from him.