Day One of the Summit

En başından başla

As for Zypher, he was fairly tall with a chiseled jaw and a mop of messy black hair. According to Yevette, he was amongst the strongest of the Harpy fighters, and also wielded rather devastating wind based magic. I would have loved to have seen a demonstration, but now was hardly the time.

As it turned out, we were the last to arrive at the designated location. It was a sort of open air coliseum, though I would put it at less than half of the size of the one I had read about back on Earth in Rome. The building it self was located near the back of the city, near the mountains the it was built next to. Much like the rest of the city, the coliseum was rather run down, but surprisingly clean. It was odd seeing partially crumbled walls, yet no corresponding pile of rubble beneath them.

Outside I saw that there were already several guards waiting and watching. Draxly was there, as well as Yevette's granddaughter Willow. I noted a couple familiar goblins and foxes, both races keeping an awkward distance from the others. Clearly interspecies relations still needed some work...

I saw that the ogres had chosen the uber cheerful yellow ogress, Varda, to guard the coliseum. She stood off to one side, the only ogre in attendance, and glared daggers at us as we approached, her arms folded over her muscular chest, and eyes narrowed in evident animosity.

I decided ignoring her would be for the best.

Instead, I allowed my eyes to linger on the two beings that stood out the most, even amongst the motley group currently standing watch. They were two- no word of a lie- unicorns! The giddy little girl in my was rather delighted to see them, even if they did not look quite how I pictured such beings in my mind. Both were white, but it was a far more natural color than the shimmering color I had expected, their coats well maintained but nothing I would describe as 'ethereal' in anyway. They both had long, grey horns, and blue eyes, though the unicorn on the left had darker ones than the one on the right.

What really set the pair apart from what fantasy stories led me to believe a unicorn should look like was their size! I would have thought them to be either the average size of a horse, or maybe a little smaller, but for these two, that wasn't the case. They were quite massive, as a matter of fact. No one would call them pretty, but rather intimidating. They were like the Lagdon of horses, the muscles making me believe that they actually could cart around my massive hobgoblin around without even breaking a sweat.

As we passed, the collective group of monsters bowed. Well, all of them but Varda, that was. I saw Lagdon glare at the woman, but decided to ignore the rudeness myself. I didn't think it wise to start what would probably dissolve into a screaming match right before a meeting designed to keep the peace.

We were just entering the long walk way to the center of the coliseum when I spotted Kishi. She was draped over a partially crumbled wall a short distance away, eyes locked on Varda. The fox guardian was no required to be here, but I was not surprised to see her all the same. She was my guardian fox, after all. I should just count my blessings that she had given in and let Lagdon be the one guard I was allowed during the summit. Lagdon eventually pointed out to the stubborn fox that, with her speed and excellent hearing, if anything did go wrong during the summit, being outside would still allow her to intervene if needed.

The inside of the coliseum was surprisingly intact. I had half expected it to be partially crumbled (All debris removed, of course), but the white stone was almost pristine. The oval shaped center was about the size of a playing field and made of packed earth with a stone dais taking up a large part of the center. The benches were high up and tiered, the farthest ring being nearly five stories above my head, and the lowest almost two. 

Set at the very center of the dais were the participants of the summit. Someone had set up a rather large wooden table up there and the ogre representative was seated there, her daughter standing at her back and both watching us enter with more interest than hostility. I would take that over Varda's disdain at least.