Here I Am

You don't know me, but you might

Call me Alice or Shauna or Lacee, Mandy or Kaitlyn. I'm from Wewoka, Watonga, Waurika — wherever.

I'm around the corner, down the block, and across town.

I graduated high school, or maybe I didn't.

I made the coffee at Stripes this morning.

I gave grandpa his bath at the nursing home yesterday.

I'm a young woman who's not so young anymore, who's feeling like she's missed something, something that can't be brought back no matter what.

Odds are you know someone like me. There's half a chance you might be someone like me. These shoes fit all over the place.

This isn't just my story. This is our story. I'm telling it because it makes more sense when I do, and because reading it may help you realize things and make decisions that won't break your heart later, or let others break it for you so easily.

When Ashley and Aaron came along, my life changed completely. That's kind of obvious. Having kids has a way of doing that. It means you can't go back, not that you would want to. There wasn't anything to go back to.

Lets face it — you get into a relationship, you have children in order not to be, not to feel, all the things you were and felt. Yes, it was an escape, a solution, but it was better than any other.

Guys, bars, hanging out, getting wasted — none of that works. You end up hating everything about yourself as you go back for more, night after night.

My life was a blur where nothing really mattered except doing whatever it took to keep it going. I was pretty. I was popular. Pole dancing made sure of that.

...With Jello shots, shame flies out the window 

faster than puke down the toilet...

Don't act shocked. You do it too, even if you've never set foot on a stage. You know how guys look at you. And you know what you have to do to get a second date. With Jello shots, shame flies out the window faster than puke down the toilet. That's what I left behind. That's what I ran away from.

With a husband and kids I felt hopeful. I became something I had never been before, a wife, a mom, a new me. It was a happy me, a me I had never met, a me I never knew existed. I wasn't lonely. I wasn't empty inside and frantic about it all the time.

It's dangerous to find your happiness — your identity even — in others. The whole thing is a house of cards that depends on somebody else keeping his promises. It can all fall down right before your eyes. It can all be taken away.

Michael cheated. He had the job, so he had the lawyer. That's a scam right there. There is no justice that isn't paid for. You want to fix a lot of problems in Oklahoma? Make sure both sides in a divorce are equally represented.