MerMay 2024

Calling all merlovers!

The mermaids are back for another year with a fun roster of events for you all!

For this year's MerMay, we'll be presenting you with two prompt sets (containing three words and a prompt each). You will pick one and write your story based on that. But that's not all because the mermaids have prepared a fun little side activity down below and you'll just have to keep reading to find out more.

Get ready to reimagine your mermaids with us once again!

1.

Words: golden, whisper, maelstrom

Prompt: If you speak when passing underneath the ancient sea arch, it will steal your voice for its own.

2.

Words: wicked, exile, darkness

Prompts: In a forgotten sea cave, a group of mermaids lie in wait for lost sailors.

↠ Your story must follow one prompt set completely including the words and prompt (all these should be underlined, please, so it's possible for us to find them)

 Your story must follow one prompt set completely including the words and prompt (all these should be underlined, please, so it's possible for us to find them). We would also like it if you could mention which one you followed at the start of your story.

 The deadline for this contest is May 31st, 2024 at 23:59PM EST.

 Your entry must be between 1500 to 5000 words.

 Entries must be original, written in English, and submitted via the form linked in the inline comment.

 You can submit multiple entries. The more mermaids, the merrier!
≋ Note: only one entry per entrant can win.

 Each entry can be a standalone on your profile or part of an existing anthology.
≋ Note: we only feature standalone winning stories in our reading lists.