Chapter 1: Extremes

December 23rd, 2024.

The sun has just risen over the town of Aberdeen, South Dakota, and meteorologist/ storm chaser David Moore was just checking the weather like any storm chaser would, and he noticed something different and extremely bad; a high risk for the north central plains. He knew something bad was coming, as the last time he experienced a high risk, it was a violent EF4 monster on March 14th, 2024.

David checked the National Weather Service twitter for more information. What he read would terrify him; they said they were predicting a 95% chance of tornadoes, and a 60-70% chance of significant (EF-2+) to violent (EF-4+) tornadoes. David then checked the thermodynamics (values that determine tornadoes and their intensity). The temperature for most areas was around 89, with dew points in the 80's, which was extremely strange seeing it was winter, especially at Christmastime. The CAPE values were in the 9000's, which was EXTREMELY close to breaking a record, while the 3-CAPE was in the 200's, so both of those were VERY high. The Lapse Rates in the area were around 10 C/KM. The humidity in most areas was in the low 50's, while the Precipitable Water was at 0.21 Inches, so a low precipitation day! The Storm Relative Helicity was in the 700's, which meant tornadoes would be very strong and the storms would be very organized. The Severe Tornado Parameters were at 19, while the Violent Tornado Parameters were at 5, so the chances of a severe tornado outbreak were EXTREMELY HIGH. 

He called up his fellow storm chaser friend Tim Johnson. Ring Ring Ring RIng. 

"Hello?"

 "Hi Tim, did you see the weather?"

 "I saw that there were some blizzards down in Illinois, want to chase them?" 

"Nah, man, you gotta look at the outlook for today, it's going to be crazy!"

 "Here, just give me a minute here... OH MY GOODNESS! Is that an... EXTREME RISK?"

 "wasn't it just a high risk? They must have changed it. But DANG, an EXTREME RISK? THAT'S NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE!"

 "Hey, I'll be there soon in the charger ™. ok?"

 "Okay." David then hung up.

"Dang, this is going to be one big outbreak," David said in a worried voice. "I just hope that all these people know, or at least get warned."

He walked over to his kitchen to eat a wonderful breakfast of syrup and a pancake from the day before. 

 "yum" he exclaimed with great relish. "Pancakes are almost as good as bacon, but NOTHING beats bacon!" He finished his pancake, and he went and watched some random TV show, which happened to be the epic TV show The History of Every Letter! 

"Man, this show is great! I can't believe this is going to be the last episode ever. Oh, well." David said in a slightly sad tone. 

Once the episode was over, he went and brushed his teeth and got all his equipment together. He also packed clothes in case he had to stay at a motel like most storm chasers do during storm chases. He had his stash of money, his toothbrush and toothpaste, his electronic probe equipment, and his epic drone that he paid $132 for, and he sat down on his couch and waited for Tim to arrive at his house with their new vehicle.

 The Charger, they called it. It was a 2019 Ford f-350 armored with 1/2 inch thick steel plates, flaps that keep winds from rolling the vehicle, spikes to keep it from rolling, and cool lightning bolt designs on the side. David heard a truck drive into his driveway, so he walked out his door and he looked at the new truck, which he had never seen before.

"Whoa! that thing is awesome! no wonder it cost 250,000 Dollars!" David said amazed by the creation. 

"yeah, she's a beautiful thing!" Tim exclaimed. 

"Think we'll get an intercept during this 2-day extreme risk?" David asked. 

"i don't know if this thing can SURVIVE an intercept in a thing like this, but we might be able to get a probe intercept," Tim said, "but who knows."

HELLO!

goodybye