Chapter Three

"I'll be back in one second!" Lando said, cutting Charlotte off as he saw the message he had been waiting for ping through on his phone.

"Lando where are you going we've got-" He didn't hear the end of her sentence, already disappearing out of the back of the garage. He knew it was something about the fact he'd got an interview or somewhere he was supposed to be in a minute.

He headed through the paddock, head down and not stopping to talk to anyone. It didn't take him long to spot her, waiting by the entrance with Cassie. She was dressed in denim shorts and a white shirt and Converse, large sunglasses planted firmly on her face as though they would conceal her identity from the world. 

"You made it." He grinned, smiling a greeting at Cassie. "Come on, we can take a shortcut back to the garage."

He held his hand out to her without really thinking about it but was surprised when she took it. He could see her looking around nervously at the crowds and all the cameras. "It's not that far, and I've had years of practice sneaking through here." He reassured her. He paused for a minute, pulling his orange McLaren cap off and pulling firmly down on her head. "Here."

She smiled back at him gratefully. "Thanks, I'm excited to watch the race."

"You'll just be happier once you've made it to the garage without being mobbed?" He offered.

She shot him a grateful look. "Exactly that."

"Then let's go!" He pulled her forward by their interlinked hands, Cassie muttering something about being a third wheel as she followed behind them, and ducked down the back of the hospitality area instead of going through the main walkway. Hannah kept pace beside him fairly easily.

"There." He smiled triumphantly, pulling her into the back of the McLaren garage, his mission accomplished having not been stopped by a single person on the way there. Hannah had visibly relaxed, taking her sunglasses off and flashing him a genuine smile.

"Thank you." She went to take his cap off.

"Keep it, looks better on you." He winked.

"So this is where you ran off too!" Charlotte arrived beside them. "I'll let you off Norris, it's so good to see you, Cassie." She put her arms around her friend and hugged her. "Lovely to meet you too, Hannah."

"I'll give you the tour while these two catch up?" Lando offered, glancing at his watch. He had a little bit of time, he could get changed on the way.

"Sure." Hannah smiled. He held his hand out and she took it again, allowing him to lead her through the garage, trying not to think about the way her hand seemed to fit perfectly into his.

He introduced her to a few members of the team on the way through, a few of them staring in slight disbelief and looking back and forth between the two of them, but none of them said anything. "This is my driver's room. If you need to hide, this is a great place to do it." He joked.

"Noted." She laughed quietly.

"I just need to get changed and ready for the race, have a seat I'll be back in two minutes." He grabbed his race suit and fireproof, disappearing into the bathroom.

He emerged a couple of minutes later with his race suit tied around his waist, fireproof clinging to him in all the right places. He watched with a smirk as her eyes ran down the entire length of his body, cheeks turning scarlet as she realised she'd been caught. "Shall we go find you somewhere to watch the race from? I think they've got a spare set of headphones for you too."

"Lead the way." Her hand slipped back into his as though it was the most natural thing.

It was getting busier in the garage now as the countdown to the race ticked down on the screens. He found Charlotte and Cassie chatting over by the chairs and screen in his side of the garage. He grabbed the pair of headphones they'd set aside for her from his engineer with a grateful smile. "You can watch from in here, you'll be able to hear the radio through these, and be out of the view of the cameras."