Chapter 35

When Kate returned home to the mansion, she was surprised by Ryan not only running up to her, but actually hugging her.

"Who are you and what have you done with my foster daughter, since she'd never be this affectionate. At least not with me." Kate said with a chuckle.

"That was before you became the coolest foster mom, since you're Batwoman." Ryan said and Kate smiled.

"So, were you actually worried about me?" Kate asked her with a smile.

"More like worried I'd be put back in the system if something happened to you." Ryan said, trying to mask how much she cared, which Kate saw right through.

"Which will never happen, since I've already updated my will that should something happen to me, Mary will take custody of you. I made sure I took that precaution when I first took you in since there was no way I was gonna let you get thrown back into the system and since Mary already helps take care of you, she's the best one to take over." Kate said.

"You really took care of me that way?" Ryan asked, surprised.

"Of course. I told you you're not going back into the system again and I meant it. I made sure to consider every single thing before I took you in. I promise, you'll be taken care of." Kate promised.

"Wow, you really are stepping up as a mom." Ryan said.

"Yeah I know, it's shocking to me." Kate said with a smile, since she definitely did not see being a mom in her future in either reality, but now that she was a mom, she wouldn't change a thing now, even though it was still fresh.

"Thank you Kate." Ryan said and Kate smiled.

"Of course. But now, since we seem to have a break between bad guys, there's a different criminal I've been too distracted to deal with, but now I can't put it off any longer." Kate said.

"Who?" Ryan asked.

"My stepmother, since while I honestly like her better than my dad right now, that doesn't mean that I can let her get away with it." Kate said and she genuinely did regret what she had to do, but she also knew that she couldn't let Catherine get away with faking her sister's death, since maybe if she hadn't, they would've found Beth before Cartwright broke her and turned her into Alice.

"Ooh, can I come?" Ryan asked and Kate chuckled.

"Sorry, but this is my business, it's a grownup business and it's personal." Kate said, really wishing she didn't have to do this, but knew she needed too.

"Are you sure?" Ryan asked.

"Yes, I'm sure. Especially since, if I'm remembering correctly, isn't tomorrow your first day of school at Gotham Prep?" Kate asked, since she'd enrolled Ryan in her alma mater.

"Tell me again why I have to go to prep school?" Ryan asked.

"Because I want you to get the best education possible, since we both know that any public school in this city is underfunded and I haven't had a chance to help with that yet." Kate said.

"Fair point. Man, you really do sound like a mom." Ryan said and Kate smiled.

"I know, it feels weird to me too." Kate said.

"But a good weird." Ryan said.

"Yeah, a good weird. Now I need to go, it's getting late, I want you in your room, at least pretending to sleep when I get back and I've already had Luke install new security on your windows to keep you from sneaking out, since no one knows how to ditch this place better than me." Kate said and Ryan dramatically groaned before nodding as Kate actually leaned down and kissed her forehead.

"Gross." Ryan said, trying to wipe the kiss off, though Kate could tell that deep down she liked having someone to do these mom things for her.