Chapter Eighteen

Adrien led me to the couch, and sat next to me. He wrapped his arm around me and held me close, he looked down at me with a gentle expression, breaking the silence.

"Y/n, I want to understand... what happened with Luka? If you're comfortable sharing, I mean."

I took a deep breath, trying to calm my nerves before I spoke. "Luka and I used to have a thing. I mean, I thought there was something more there, but then Marinette told me that they kissed last night. And then all I heard at school was about them dating. I know, I should be happy for her, for them; and I am, but it hurts." My voice broke towards the end.

I looked up from the floor into Adrien's eyes, and was silent for a while. His eyes flickered between mine, he looked hurt and sad. "I'm sorry you had to go through that. It must have been tough."

"Yeah," I replied, my voice barely above a whisper. "It just caught me off guard. I thought we were close friends, and I was okay with that. But he never even told me, he didn't have the audacity to tell me himself either. Seeing her run off to meet him, it made me realize that maybe I wasn't as over it as I thought."

Sniffling, I buried my face in his chest. Adrien sighed, trying to process what I had just told him.

"Y/n, I had no idea. I'm sorry if me answering for you when he called earlier bothered you, especially when I told him we had plans that we didn't..."

I offered him a small smile, reassuring him that I appreciated what he did. "No, Adrien, you did nothing wrong. If anything, you covering for me and being willing to spend time with me has actually helped more than you know. It's just... my feelings are all over the place right how. Feelings are complicated."

He nodded, a solemn look in his eyes. Adrien cupped my cheek in his hand and wiped away a tear than had started to make it's way down my face. "Yeah, they really are. I just hate to see you hurting."

"Thanks, Adrien." I said, leaning into his hand. "I'll be okay. Let's just enjoy the rest of the evening before Nathalie comes to get you." I chuckled.

Adrien continued to hold me close, him being a comforting presence to me. He gently tilted my chin up, looking into my eyes with a sincerity that touched my soul.

"It's okay, Y/n. I appreciate your bravery and honesty, and I'm here for you. I've had my fair share of heartache, and I know it's not easy. You don't need to apologize for being human and having these feelings."

God, this man is amazing.

I managed to give him a weak smile, enjoying his company. "Thanks, Adrien. I guess I just needed someone to talk to, and I'm glad it was you." I felt nervous admitting that to him.

He used his thumb to wipe away more tears that fell, not moving his hand from my face once. "Anytime, Y/n. I'm honored you trust me enough to open up to me. And, if it helps, I don't mind staying in tonight. We can watch a movie, talk, or do whatever you feel like. No pressure."

I nodded, "Yeah, that would be great. I'll get to ordering that pizza..." I trailed off as my eyes landed on the note from my dad, "Adrien?"

"Yes?" He turned to follow my gaze, his eyes also falling onto the paper. "What's up?"

"Do you think you could spend the night? I don't want to be alone tonight, I can beg Nathalie if needed." I asked him, still staring at the paper.

"Yeah, I can. I'll let her know what's going on." He turned back to me, and wrapped his arms around me in a tight hug. "I just wish I knew a way to help you feel better. You are important to me, you know." He pulled back a little bit, and made me look at him by lifting my chin. "You're amazing, and I wish everyone saw that."

I smiled and let out a soft laugh, "You don't have to worry about cheering me up, you being here is enough for me. You don't have to flatter me just to make me happy."

"I'm serious, Y/n," His face grew serious, it only inches from my own. "I admire your bravery and courage, when you smile, you can brighten up any room. You can always make me laugh, and I adore you. Everything about you is beautiful, and I'm sorry that Luka was too blind to see it."

Adrien was frustrated, that much was obvious. Not with me, but with Luka. But why, I wasn't some amazing prize or one of a kind girl. I'm not like Ladybug, or Marinette who has been recognized by Gabriel Agreste.

"It's his loss, I know everyone else can see it. I mean, hell, Y/n, even I see it. You're amazing and beautiful."

I felt my breath catch in my throat as Adrien leaned a little closer, his eyes flickering between mine and my lips. Everything seemed to stand still, and I could swear he could hear my heartbeat. The smell of his cologne and the heat radiating off of him made the air between us intoxicating.

Adrien's words lingered in the air, I hadn't thought of what to say or how to respond. For fucks sake, I could think of anything even if I wanted to. His thumb traced gentle circles on my chin, each touch silently reassuring me, yet it had a different meaning. He was testing my boundaries.

"I..." was all I could say, I found myself beginning to lean into him. What's going on? What do I do? I don't hate this, but does he know what he's doing?