0 7 • R A F T I N G

⁕ A r p a n a  P a t h a k

I lost track of how long I'd slept, but when I opened my eyes, to my surprise, it was raining. Feeling too tired to open my eyes fully, I lay in bed without looking at the window to watch the raindrops tapping on the glass.

After finally waking up, I struggled to go back to sleep, but laziness always convinced me to stay in bed a little longer even after waking up.

When the doorbell rang, I hurried out of bed and went to the door. I expected it might be Thakur or Joshi, but it was the room service boy delivering morning bed tea.

He wore a white checkered shirt paired with black pants and boots of the same colour. He seemed quite young, perhaps around seventeen or eighteen. His sunken cheeks and visible jawbones made him appear skinny.

"Good morning, ma'am. Here's your tea," he greeted with a warm smile, handing over the tea. I nodded in thanks, returning his smile.

"Does the weather change often in the mountains?" I inquired as I held the tea.

He was on his way to the next door but paused to answer, "Well, it all depends on their mood... When mountains feel loved, they smile with snow, and when they feel pain, they cry with the clouds."

His response triggered a realization. I observed that no one had emerged from their rooms yet, probably still recovering from last night's hangover. I closed my door and decided to enjoy my tea while sitting in front of the window, with the refreshing breeze of the raindrops. But far enough to not get wet.

Even though it was mid-August, the atmosphere wasn't chilly like in winter due to the sudden change in weather. The rain has a special place in my memories. I remembered how the rain had always played a secret role in bringing Rudra and me together.

I observed numerous people strolling the streets with colourful umbrellas and raincoats as the rain gradually tapered off.

After finishing my tea, I finally made up my mind to get ready. I wore denim blue high-rise baggy jeans paired with a loose, long-sleeved striped crop sweater. Since I hadn't washed my hair and the sticky moisture in the air made it cling to my neck, I tied it into a ponytail. I grabbed my phone from the drawer and headed out of the room, making sure it was locked properly.

I knocked on everyone's doors, finding them still in a groggy state.

'Gawd, Please! I deserved better friends. At least the ones who don't spend their trips just snoozing in their hotel rooms.'

Like an irritated mother, I practically ordered them to get ready.

Waiting at the reception, I counted the tiles on the floor. Contemplating how one could walk on only the white tiles without stepping on the black ones.

The man who served me tea earlier was now mopping the floor, humming an old Bollywood song from the 80s. I couldn't catch all the lyrics as he mumbled, but I admired how he enjoyed it. He smiled at me as he noticed my presence and continued his work.

It made me wonder: how do some people have to work so hard just to make ends meet and how some do not need to even care about money? 

We all live under the same skies, but the sun shines differently on each of us.

"Hey, ready for rafting?" Zeeshan's voice interrupted my thoughts. I turned to see him dressed casually in black track pants and a brown nylon t-shirt. 

I cannot deny he is quite handsome.

Feeling a bit overdressed in comparison, I smiled and nodded. I remember how he used to proudly share his parents' love story with others. They were from different religious backgrounds - his mother was a Muslim, and his father was a Hindu Rajput.