Four

Callie

Aunt Phoebe was in the kitchen cooking when the front door opened, pulling my eyes away from the laptop. My gaze landed on Logan who tried to rush to her room before her aunt or I could acknowledge that she was home a lot earlier than expected. 

"Hold on, young lady!" Aunt Phoebe called out, rushing into the living room with a greasy metal spatula in her hand. Logan let out a breath and turned on her heel, making her way back into the living room. "Why are you home so early? You've been coming home much earlier than your classes let out... what have you been doing?" 

Logan's hazel eyes dropped to the ground, knowing there was no getting out of it as she had hoped to do minutes earlier. 

The sound of my ringing phone grabs my attention away from the situation. Glancing at the screen, I notice the number and immediately answer before placing my laptop on the table and jumping up.

"Good morning this is the Los Angeles Adoption agency, am I speaking with Miss Carmella Lawrence?"

My heart jumped in my throat as I inhaled sharply, knowing this was the phone call that would determine my adoption future. "Yes, this is she," I voice as I make my way to the back porch. I close the door behind me and lean against the door frame. 

"Great, my name is Tyshana Ross, I was the agent on your case. Unfortunately, we are unable to accept your adoption application. Everything was perfect but due to your lifestyle, we were unable to give you parental rights over any child."

My heart sinks into my stomach as I listen to every word. I can't help but frown, "My lifestyle? I--I got denied because I'm bisexual?!?" I hiss.

Tyshana clears her throat, "No ma'am, that's not why we denied you. We denied you because you are a wealthy woman hoping to raise a child on your own. It would be different if you were married to have someone at home with the child. According to your stats, you spend more time in the office than you do at home... which may cause mental health problems for the child."

Frowning, I glance down at my feet. I mean... it makes sense. "Okay," I mutter in defeat. I had been looking forward to being able to adopt but... maybe I wasn't meant to be a mother. To Logan or anyone else.

Ending the call, I make my way back into the home.

"Your father has been working his hardest to provide for you, Logan! And you pay him back by failing your classes and getting expelled?!? We raised you better than that," Aunt Phoebe's ferocious voice startled me.

It was rare to hear the woman angry. Even when we were younger. Anytime Jamie and I got in trouble, she was usually very calm and didn't show an ounce of anger. So now that she was yelling at Logan, even I was startled with fear.

Logan ran a hair through her brown hair. "I... I didn't even want to go in the first place. College was never in my plans, I went because you two wouldn't get off my ass about it!" 

My brows raised, knowing there was nothing good that came next. I make my way back into the living room. "What's going on?" I questioned, wanting to get caught up on whatever was going on. 

Aunt Phoebe sighed as she turned to me. "Logan has been failing her classes all semester. And today I found out the reason she's been getting home earlier than usual is because she was expelled! She didn't even have the gall to tell us!" she groaned before glancing at the brunette.

"Do you know who was helping you pay for tuition despite it biting him in the ass? Your father, that's who! Only for you to stab him in the back by failing and being expelled!"