Part 8

Over the next few days, Shubman's demeanor changed completely, as the kid who wouldn't practice for one more minute than was strictly necessary completely immersed himself into his practice for hours and hours before he was practically dragged away by their coaches. Rahul Dravid was happy with his improving control over his shots, but there were several other changes that he observed that made him worried.

Like the way he could see the circles under the kid's eyes darkening with each passing day. Or the way the kid who used to chirp around with everyone else now barely spoke a word to anyone. The way he could count on one finger the number of times he had seen the kid come to their common dining hall with the team, and then also, he would be just picking at his food, instead of relishing it like always.

Rahul Dravid sighed. He had never felt so inadequate as a coach before. Sure the kid's performance was improving, but the kid was almost killing himself over it, and what kind of a coach was he if he couldn't help his struggling players?

He was on his way to drag Shubman off the field after his 10th hour practicing non-stop against the ball machine , when his phone rang in his pocket. He sighed when he saw that it was Shubman's father, but picked it up and answered it nevertheless.

"Hello?"

"Hello, sir. Shubhi aapke paas hai?"

"Wo abhi ball machine se practice kar raha hai, sir"

"...aap usko phone de sakte hai?"

"Ji, bilkul. Bas ek minute.."

He stopped the ball machine, and went up to the lad before giving him the phone.

"Your Dad is on line.Talk to him" He instructed.

Shubman could feel his hands and feet freeze at the thought of having to face his Dad after the spectacular failure in the previous match. But he knew he couldn't run from the conversation much longer. So he took in a deep breath and answered, his heart almost beating out of his chest.

"Shubhi?"

"Haanji Papa"

"Tu aisa kyu kar raha hai?"

"..."

"Tu humesha achhe khelne ke baad humein phone karta hai.. fir jab tu achha nahi khel pata hai to hume kyu phone nahi karte? Kya ek match achha nahi jane se tu humare kaaka hona band kar dega?"

The sound of wet breaths coming from the other end broke Lakhwinder Singh Gill's heart. If he was in front of his son right now, he'd probably see him shrinking into himself in shame..

The line was unnaturally silent, so he pressed.

"Hello? Shubhi? Sunai de raha hai tujhe?"

"...Haan Papa" Shubhi whispered.

"Fir kuch bol kyu nahi raha hai tu.. Shubhi? Sab thik to hai na, kaake?"

"..Haan Papa, sab thik" Shubhi lied. Nothing was alright anymore. Nothing had ever been remotely close to being alright since November....

"To fir kya hua? Humein avoid kyu kar raha hai?"

"...Waisa nahi, Papa, bas..."

"Bas kya, Kaake?"

"...yahi ki.. aapne itne umeed se mere training k liye itna kuch kiye.. aur badle me main dhang ka perform bhi nahi kar paa raha hu..."

"Dekh beta, do cheez yaad rakhna hamesha. Ek hai ki bhale hi maine tumare training milne k liye Jo kuch bhi kiya hu, training tumne khud kiya hai. Maine bas tujhe wo raste pe laya tha. Aur dusri baat ki tumhare performance chahe jaise bhi ho, tum humesha humare bachcha rahoge, aur hume hamesha tumhare upar garv rahega, chahe kuchh bhi ho jaye, samjhe?"

"...ji Papa"

"Agli baar se aisa ulta seedha chinta dimag me aya na, to usko wahi se nikaal dena"

"...ji Papa."

"Chal fir. Jake fresh hoke dinner kar le. Raat me baat karenge, thik hai?'

"Haan Papa"

"Chal, bye"

"Bye, Papa.." Shubhi's voice was barely a whisper by this point. Why was Dad being so understanding? Couldn't he see that his son was being a disappointment in front of international level senior cricketers? He wondered, his vision becoming blurred as tears burned his eyes.

He managed to return the phone to Rahul sir and choke out a thank you before quickly heading to his room. Once in the privacy of his room, he finally allowed himself to break for the first time since things started going all wrong. He cried and cried, for allowing himself to get out so cheaply in the final, for his repeated inability to perform worthwhile since that day, for being so inadequate, such a disappointment to everyone who ever believed in him, such a burden on the team, the country...

After what seemed like hours, when his thoughts finally started to clear out somewhat, Shubhi realized that someone was softly stroking his hair. He cleared out crust from his eyes and looked up to find his Di looking worriedly at him, her big round eyes shining with worry.

Shahneel smacked her brother's head lightly before wrapping him into a fierce hug, causing him to almost fall over her.

"Tu phone kyu nahi uthata hai re? Tujhe pata hai hum kitna dar gaye the..?"

"Kyu dar rahi thi Di, mai ekdum thik hu"

"Haan haan, bilkul. Tu ekdam thik hai. Itna thik hai ki tujhe pata bhi nahi chala mai kab idhar ayi, kyuki tu aise ro raha tha... Mujhe gadhi samajh ke rakha hai kya?'' She ranted, sarcasm dripping from her voice like honey.

"..wo to tu hai hi" Shubhi replied cheekily.

"Achha bachhu?? Thik hai fir mai nahi ja rahi tere match dekhne. Kyuki stadium me to sirf insaano ko allow karte hai, aur mai to insaan hu nahi.." Shahneel rebutted, pretending to be offended.

"Arre nahi re Di, mai to mazaak kar raha tha.. Tu bhi na, itna seriously kyu le leti hai.." Shubman coaxed, unable to meet her eyes due to the burning of his eyes. This was a regular interaction with his Di. Then why was it hurting so much this time...?

Shahneel watched horrified as Shubhi's eyes started to brim with tears again. Shit, did he take it to his heart?

"Oi pagle.. Tujhe pata hai na, ki teri Di jab tere sath tour pe aati hai tab teri match bina dekhe nahi ja sakti? Fir?"

Shubhi simply nodded, before resting his head on Di's chest, soaking in her affection. The way she was rubbing his back felt nice.

Shahneel broke the hug after a while, and cupped Shubhi's face into her hands, wiping off a few stray tears from his eyes with her thumb.

"Chal chal, jake muh dho le, fir sab se milna hai.."

"Sab matlab..?"

"Tujhe pata chal jayega. Ab ja, jake fresh ho le."

________________________________________________________________________________

As usual, enjoy, and lmk your thoughts in the comments.. ;)

Until next time <3