Chapter 1 | Welcome Home

Bobby Bearhug's POV

I was a little bored of playing games with the other critters. More specifically, endless games of fetch and tag. Mainly DogDay's ideas. I mean, he isn't bad at coming up with game ideas- they just get a little boring after so long. I can't blame him though, he's just trying to do his job.

It was literally just the critters in the playcare as all the employees were elsewhere in the factory and all the children were in the game station. I snuck away from the playcare when no one was looking. I wanted some more adventure in my boring toy life so I decided to explore around the factory.  I was walking around for a bit when the corridors became subtly darker the deeper I went. It was unsettling.

I found myself in a storage room. There were boxes piled high containing random junk that nobody really needed. The shelves were covered in them too. There were some little toys on the floor, I was careful to avoid standing on them. After all, that would hurt. 

The far end of the storage room was dark. Too dark to see. Squinting, I could make out a figure though. There was something down there that was collapsed on the floor. A heap of darkness. Whatever it was, it seemed hurt. I wanted to help it, even though I knew Bubba was the only critter that could do first aid. 

I paced  backwards slowly, attempting to find the light switch. Eventually I found it, and it revealed a horrifying sight.

The lights at the end of the room were broken, but the ones further up cast enough light to see. There was a girl there. She had black hair and wore a dark grey nurse's shirt that had a slightly paler grey collar and a pocket on the breast. It had a black skirt attached that went to just above the knee. She had black cat ears, a black tail and dark lines that resembled whiskers on her cheeks (just like CatNap has). She was covered in bandages and plasters. Her face was drawn up in an emotionless smile, her eyes empty and dark. She had bandages tight around her neck, a red plus sign pendant hanging off it. Like the ones on first aid bags.

She was sat in what was once a pool of blood, now just dry stains on the floor. Just how long had she been here for? I just stood there for a bit, unable to speak. 

(It looks like this)

"Uhm.. hello?" I eventually whispered, dropping to one knee in front of her body. I felt stupid because this girl was probably dead. 

But I was wrong.

White circles flickered in her eyes and they slowly rose up to look at my face. 

"B0bB¥ b3ARhUg?" she croaked at me with a confused look on her face.

"Uhm, hello, yes, that's me!" I said awkwardly. 

Before the girl could reply, another girl sprang out from behind one of the shelving units. She was slightly taller than me and had some injuries as well. She had dark drey fuzzy hair with dark grey sheep ears and large cream ram horns. She had a yellow butterfly pendant with red spots on.

She looked at me with disgust and simply said "Leave, rainbow face."

The cat girl on the floor looked up at the sheep girl and said calmly "s₩e3t, B3 n1¢e."

"..sorry klutzy.." muttered the sheep girl.

"..Uhm, sorry if this comes across as rude but who are you two?" I asked. I think they could tell I was frightened.

"I'm Sweet Sheep," said the sheep girl, "and this is KlutzyKitty." She indicated to the cat girl on the floor who nodded eagerly.

"Hang on," I said looking at this KlutzyKitty girl, "I think I've heard your name somewhere before".

There was silence for a moment. 

Then KlutzyKitty looked at the floor. The more she spoke, the more normal her voice became. It was like she just hadn't used it in a long time. "I ₩0uLdn'T B3 $hO¢kED, I d1d Kn0w sOmE 0F tHe cUrr3nT critT3rs." 

This confused me. What did she mean by "current critters"? Weren't we the originals?

Sweet Sheep seemed to sense my confusion and sighed "We were before your lot. Us and two of our friends; LuckyDucky and Magic Mouse. We still need to find them. Then Playtime co decided that we were too dull for the children. So they made you guys." She seemed more annoyed as she continued her sentence. "They kept Klutzy with the critters for a bit though. She knew DogDay, CatNap..uhh..PickyPiggy was it?" She looked at Klutzy who gave some sort of signal to continue. "Uhm- KickinChicken, I think and of COURSE Bubba Bubbaphant. So pretty much it's just you, green rabbit and annoying unicorn that didn't know her."

Sweet Sheep seemed to exaggerate that she knew Bubba, I wondered what their connection was.

Klutzy looked awfully upset after his name was mentioned. So I suggested that we could go and see the rest of the critters. 

Klutzy's eyes sparkled when I said this. Sweet Sheep just looked annoyed but I could tell she wanted to make Klutzy happy, judging by their situation. 

"Follow me." I smiled as I walked over to Klutzy so I could help her up. She stumbled a bit and ended up leaning on Sweet Sheep who helped her walk.  

Klutzy looked uneasy when I said that we were almost at the playcare.  I reassured her that it would just be the critters there. She then said "I d0n'T wAnT tH3m t0 reaCt baDLy.."

Sweet Sheep looked her in the eyes and whispered "Don't worry Klutz, they won't".

As we got to the playcare, I felt a bit nervous myself. Of course, the critters were still playing with hyperactive DogDay- that is, other than CatNap who was watching the chaos unfold.

I didn't announce my entrance, but Hoppy noticed me since I walked out of the dark hallway and  into playcare first. She shouted "OH HEY BOBBY!! GUYS, BOBBY'S BACK!" I winced slightly. I sometimes forgot how loud my best friend is. 

I looked cautiously over my shoulder at Klutzy and Sweet who were almost visible to the rest of the critters. "Do you want me to introduce you to them or just say that we have guests?" I whispered to them so that the rest of the critters couldn't hear me. "say you have guests or something.." sweet sheep replied.

I looked back to the rest of the critters, obviously looking shifty as DogDay asked me if I was ok. I ignored the question and announced, "We have some visitors!"

The critters who Sweet Sheep had mentioned looked extremely shocked. The ones who she hadn't just looked confused. 

"...Klutzy..?"