Chapter 4: Getting out of Control

Richard's P.O.V

My whole world came crashing down upon hearing those words. I couldn't believe that I dared to hope that she wanted to talk things out with me, and give me a chance. Never before have I felt so upset. Never before have I failed at getting what I wanted. From the moment I was born, everything went according to my plans, just the way I like it to be.

But this...none of this was going my way. For the first time, I had something that I really wanted, that I really needed. Her. For the first time, I failed. I failed so miserably. It seemed that no matter what, she wasn't going to accept me. To acknowledge her as my mate. For the first time...I was on the verge of breaking down.

The pain I felt now could be compared to what I felt when my parents were murdered by the rogues. I almost broke down, then. Almost. But I didn't. I picked myself up from the ground, started reestablishing the world that my parents had so painstakingly built up. It was all ruined when they were murdered. I rose in the ranks. I became respected, and revered by my people, and feared by the rogues. Although it was nothing compared to what everyone felt for my parents, it was still something. I was close to my goal: to avenge my family, and to take back what was ours. What the rogues had mercilessly taken away from us. My goal was to take it all back, and together with my mate, protect the realm like what my parents had done.

This time, however, it was different. My source of encouragement--the only reason that I kept going after all the times that I've felt useless, helpless, the only thing that tethered me to this world--was the belief that I would find my mate one day. That she would make my broken heart full again. I couldn't be more wrong.

And still, she keeps her gaze on me, her expression neutral, as if she hadn't just asked me to do something nearly impossible for me.

"You know I can't do that," I began slowly, cautiously, saying the first thing that came to my mind.

Her eyes flashed in fury, before she took a step forward. "And why is that?" She challenged, holding her head high in defiance.

"I..." I was at a loss for words. Her overwhelming scent didn't do anything to calm my inner turmoil.

"If you don't have a good reason, then do it. The sooner we break the bond between us, the better," she stated, her expression inscrutable.

No! You can't do that, Richard! She's our mate! She's the one you've been searching for all along! Licorice screeched desperately. Does it look like I have a choice? I shot back, defeated. You always have a choice, he growls. Not in this one. I don't want to reject her- I argued, but he interrupted me before I could get a word out. Then don't! Tell her! Give her a good reason! You better listen to me, or else I'll rip your head off myself. I sighed, knowing that he was being serious.

Helene must've sensed my hesitation, because she scowled. "Well? I'm waiting. Go on," she pressed. "I don't have all day, Alpha Talon," she mocked.

That was when Licorice lost it. He fought for control, harder than he ever did. It was so sudden that I didn't have the chance to contain him, and before I knew it, he took over.

"I REFUSE!"

➺➺➺

Helene's P.O.V

I instinctively flinched at his sudden outburst, as did many of the people around me. Everyone snapped their heads towards the two of us, as his voice had caused the entire floor to vibrate. I didn't like the attention he was attracting, especially since he shifted into his wolf. Out of the corner of my eyes, I could see Alpha Alder frowning at me, while Father was glaring at me with a look of accusation in his eyes, no doubt assuming that I made the Iron Alpha angry and caused a scene.