78

If I had known this would be wrong, I wouldn’t have taken the perilous escape.

…I betrayed Raniero.

He would return to Actilus with a clear mind, and he would come to know that I betrayed him. He would get angry. Of course, he’d be angry! What I thought was the best choice has turned into the worst outcome, coming back to me like a boomerang.

“Ha, ah…!”

I ran my hand through my hair and laughed like a scream. Laughter was the only thing that came out.

Terror surged over me. As it crept up my ankles, coiled around my waist and strangled my throat, I clutched my throat and coughed. My throat felt itchy and scratchy. Subconsciously, I dug my fingernails into my neck.

“Angelica!”

Seraphina grabbed my shoulders with a panicked voice. She was stronger than I thought. Removing her hand from my neck, she looked at my face.

“Calm down.”

Those words felt too empty and meaningless. After all, she was in a position that had nothing to do with this right now.

A mirthless laugh escaped from my lips.

“Don’t worry too much. There must be another way, surely…”

“Another way…”

“This won’t solve anything.”

What should I do to solve this? I hastily grabbed my belongings in a panic, then donned the bag over my shoulder and put on my winter clothes and boots.

“Angelica.”

Seraphina’s voice trembled.

“Eden… Eden.”

But now, Seraphina didn’t matter to me. I needed Eden, my destined community, who had come here with me. He would come up with some plan, right? Even if he was insensitive and indifferent, he was always more rational and daring than me…
[ T/N: It sounds kind of strange, but the author actually used the word’ 공동체,’ which meant ‘community—a group with the same ideology or goal’ here. ]

A lump welled up in my throat, and my eyes suddenly grew hot.

‘First of all, Eden asked me to come here. Eden…!’

…So, Eden should take responsibility for what happened to me

I got dressed and went out into the hall and shouted.

“Where’s Eden? Eden! Eden!”

A paladin approached me as though he were going to subdue me as I was screaming as if I was out of my mind. With tears in my eyes, I glared at him and enunciated each syllable.

“Where’s Eden?”

The approaching paladin flinched and then cast a pleading glance toward the Archbishop, who was still standing there and looking at me with a deeply sympathetic expression.