Lunch with Peter

Sorry this has taken me so long. I have a bunch of other chapters in progress but they've all turned out much longer than anticipated and they're all taking a while to finish. So here, have a short little cute thing about you and Bucky taking Peter out to lunch.

------

"I'm just gonna run to the washroom," you announced as Peter and Bucky took their seats opposite each other in the diner booth. You dropped your purse on the seat next to Bucky, glancing down at the menus. "Mmm, you know, if the waitress comes by to get orders while I'm gone, you can order for me, Buck. You know what I like."

Bucky dipped his head with a wink. "You got it, doll." Once you were gone, he let the menu flop open on the table in front of him, browsing idly through the options. Or at least, his eyes were passing over them. He was still too absorbed in thoughts about you to actually read any of it.

"So, uh...." Peter's voice brought him out of his thoughts and he looked across the booth to see him tugging awkwardly on the sleeve of his sweatshirt. "You... you like her, right?"

Bucky blinked, completely oblivious to what Peter was actually asking. "What?"

Peter flushed and started to rub awkwardly at the back of his neck, but he was still plucking at that sleeve with his other hand. So instead of continuing with that, he shifted to run his hand through his hair, and that was when he realized that he'd just tried to fidget in three totally different ways at the same time when he only had two hands. So, taking a deep breath, he pressed both hands down into his lap, willing himself back into stillness. "I um, I just... you come by to take her for lunch all the time, and, you just kinda look at her like...well, like you have a... crush or something..." As he spoke, Peter kept tilting his head further and further down, as if he was going to hide his face inside his hoodie entirely, if he kept going. This was stupid - what was Peter thinking, trying to talk to someone like Bucky Barnes, the Winter Soldier, Cap's best friend and total BAMF about a crush? What was he, in middle school?

Bucky stared incredulously at Peter for a moment, fully expecting the kid to break and tell him that it was a joke. But he didn't. He just looked a little more mortified every second the silence went on, and a little like he was going to retreat completely inside his sweatshirt if Bucky didn't do something to calm the kid down a little. "Well..." Bucky shrugged easily, leaning back into the plush booth bench, "you're not wrong."

Peter's head popped back up, eyes wide. "Wait, I'm not?!"

Bucky opened his mouth to answer, but was distracted instead by the sight of you returning to the table.

The moment you slid into the booth next to Bucky, you knew something was up. Peter was staring in an overly-intense way that was trying much too hard to make it look like he'd just been reading his menu this whole time, and nothing suspicious at all was going on. "Uhh..." You glanced back and forth between the two of them for a moment, wondering if you should be worried, or just amused. "What did I miss?"

"Nothing!" Peter chirped, much too quickly to be an honest answer.

Bucky shook his head, shooting you a mischievous smile. "Oh, Peter here was just saying that he thinks I might have a crush on you."

Oh. Oh. You had to bite down on her tongue to contain a laugh. Couldn't give the game away too quickly - it'd be much more fun to play along. So, with all the extreme melodrama you could muster, you gasped and let your eyes go wide. "Wait, really?! Oh, that's juicy gossip." You leaned a little toward Bucky with a smirk. "So, is it true?"

Bucky mirrored your motion, leaning in even closer as his gaze dropped for a moment down to your lips. His voice came out in a low, seductive rumble that sent a shot of sparking heat down your spine. "Wouldn't you like to know?"

Peter glanced between the two of you, a bright blush glowing on his cheeks, both at the scene before him and at his growing sense that he was being teased. "So... she already knows that, then...?"

Bucky withdrew from you to turn back to Peter, stretching his arms above his head and then letting one of them come to rest casually across your shoulders. "I mean, I'd hope so, since she's my wife."

"I— wait, you're married?!" Peter's eyes went wide as saucers. "Since when?!"

You couldn't help but laugh at his surprise. "Since 1943."

His jaw dropped and he scrubbed at his cheeks, suddenly embarrassed. This was something that he should have known about his friends. Or from history class, apparently! "How did I not know that?!"